Stuck telescopic rod

Started by smnaguwa, June 18, 2012, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

I have an Italian telescopic rod I use for Sacramento river striper fishing.  It is now stuck and won't collapse.  Any suggestions?

UK Ron

Try pouring boiling water over the offending joint.

Tile

The telescopic rods can be a pain in the backside. Put light oil on the joint, leave it for a few hours and try loosening the sections.
In solid fiberglass we trust

smnaguwa

Thanks for the information.  I tried both ideas without results.

mbg60

wrap the joints with ice for a couple of minutes, then try to collapse.

Steve-O

Try a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or similar type found at automotive shops for stuck rusty screws and bolts. After putting some on and standing the rod vertically overnight, grip the stuck joint firm just above the joint and another hand below the joint while tapping the rod butt lightly on a hard surface like the floor or lay the rod down and slide it against the baseboard. many light repeated taps versus fewer hard ones.
good luck

smnaguwa

Thanks for all the suggestions. May have to live with the stuck rod.

Bryan Young

I've also tried everything and my telescoping rod is stucker than stuck.  I ended up getting another rod when I was in Taiwan and use the stuck rod for mending broken rods by cutting pieces that fit over the damaged section to reinforce the walls of the rod.

things not to do when assembling a telescoping rod.  make sure that the connection is bone dry when extending the rod.  Never wet, even with good liquid lubricants.  Best to use graphite on those connections.  Even using lead from a pencil at the joint is good.

Lessons learned when I was in Taiwan and based on my own stuck telescoping rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

Most telescopic rods have their guide assemblies glued in place. When the rod becomes stuck there is no possibility of breaking the bond. he ones that have their guides wrapped can be unstuck by cutting the wrap and thus allowing the segments to become unstuck. Tried this maneuver with my Berkley rod 10 years ago and worked a treat  :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust