Penn 7500ss Rebuilds and Tricks

Started by suitekids, June 27, 2012, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suitekids

Anybody have some mods and trick for the Penn 7500SS, it's about 15 years old, minty shape, but before I put it on the boat this season, I would like to trick it out, Come on Sal, share the secrets and the part numbers!!

Bryan Young

Double spring dogs and grease CF drag washers as a minimum.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Dan, replace the two teflon washers with CF washers. You need to enlarge the inner diameter of one of the washer that goes under the spool, you could use a dremel. I prefer a larger knob on my reel, I have big hands, if you want to do it also, here is where I get them from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-KNOB-FOR-PENN-DAIWA-SHIMANO-ACCURATE-AVET-REEL-HANDLE-/120827190024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21dc9b08
Yes, from our favorite seller.
That's pretty much all for now,. Justin can hook you up with some ss dogs if you want them.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

very timely,i pulled my 7500ss apart yesterday(i hate this reel).
underneath the drag stack there is a metal ring that sticks up.part of the spool,
that the bottom metal washer sits on. so, when you tighten the drag it bends
the metal washers.whats the fix?thanks in advance,

Alto Mare

Don't know what to tell you Wallace, I never had that problem. I was going to ask if you have the right drag knob, but then I remembered that your reel is new. Did you start with the octagon washer? It takes a lot of force to bend that washe :-\ . Lee might have to customize one for tough guys like yourself.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

no sal its not new,
its the old solid one,35yrs?
hex cf key cf hex cf key ret;ring
cf under
i was thinking of filling in the gap under the
bottom hex with metal washers ???

Alto Mare

No Wallace, I meant to say you purchased that reel new. Have you ever replaces the metal washers? It might be a good idea to try that first, I would leave the spool as is, no additional washers. I know that you're not crazy about these reels...you're not the only one. I personally believe that it is one of the best design in its class, but, to each is own. 35 years is a long time, I haven't seen your reel, but I'm betting it still looks good, can't say the same for most of the others....if they last that long :-\.
Here is the washers kit, just in case you wanted to purchase a set, just replace the teflon with CF's and hold on to the teflon washers, they make good spacers for other reels.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-750SP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

wallacewt

thanks sal
i ordered a set from scotts
ill see if that helps.
`