New SS from Penn

Started by Cone, June 30, 2012, 03:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Irish Jigger

WOW! full metal body. The aluminium bail wire is innovative.

Alto Mare

Yes Cone, another member sent me the link a few days ago. It looks  promising, but I need to have it in my hands. I'm old fashioned, not crazy about anti-reverse bearings, I like dogs..... We'll see if they can change my mind. I watched the video, but didn't see anything in the rotor, maybe it does come with back up dogs :-\. Either way, I would love to get my hands on one.
Tom, you mentioned that the aluminum bail wire is innovating, I would have liked it if they kept the ss wire there, only a little beefier. I wonder how long the finish is going to last on that aluminum wire :-\.
The drags and seals really caught my eyes, BUT, if a little water does happen to get in, I don't believe that it would find its way out.
I think they should have a check valve at the bottom of the reel, that would stops the water from getting in but allows it to drain out... if, it does get in somehow. Condensation might also be an issue, having a sealed reel exposed to the hot sun and dunked in the cold ocean might create condensation, but I'm not that smart :-\.
I give Penn alot of credit for coming out with such a innovative reel and I wish them lots of luck with it. I like everything that I've seen so far, well except for the bail wire, but that's not a big deal. I need to test the reel for myself to see if I personally like it though. Very nice!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The marketing video said they were greasing the drags on the new spinners. Very good! But when I asked if they wee using teflon grease, they replied that they used Penn blue grease on the spinners and Penn  X-1R on the new star drags. Apparently they do not believe that teflon grease is necessary for carbon fiber drag washers. Hmm...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Cone

I'm with you Sal. the proof is in the fishing. I will get one when their out though. I'm a Penn guy too. Theres another video on the features and IIRC they use Penn drag grease on the washers. doesn't matter I go through all mine before first use anyway.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Tile

I wonder if the maingear is made out of aluminium.
In solid fiberglass we trust

mackereljoe

http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/spinfisher-v

According to their website only the 7500 and above got the back-up rachet.  Oh man, V10500 415 yard of #30 mono, but weight 39 ounces. 

basto

Anyone know where they are made? If they are made in China, I dare say your SS reels will become even more desireable.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Quote from: mackereljoe on July 01, 2012, 04:30:22 AM
http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/spinfisher-v

According to their website only the 7500 and above got the back-up rachet.  Oh man, V10500 415 yard of #30 mono, but weight 39 ounces. 
Thanks for the info Mike, I'm liking it even more.
You know, I wouldn't mind paying an additional $40 to $50 for stainless steel gears on those babies, a little extra weight doesn't bother me. I'm not on any bass tournament or anything like that...those guys are nuts ;D. I also want to mention that I never had any issues with my ss models, I've donked them a few times, but was always able to keep on fishing, I did take them completely apart when I got home though. I've also repaired a few ss models for friends and some that I purchased used, the only thing that really needed to be replaced at times, was the dogs...Justin and Lee can take care of that ;) and sometimes a bearing or two. With that said, I would still like to get my hands on one of those V's. Penn and other manufacturers should send a few to Alan so he could check them out before they hit the market ;), I know that Alan is not crazy about spinning gear, but I'm sure that he wouldn't mind crack open one of those. I'm also sure that there are a few guys here that wouldn't mind taking them for a test drive ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.