New at ocean fishing so need some rod help.

Started by usncporet, July 07, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usncporet

Hi! Been charter boat fishing a few times now and absolutely LOVE it! I have acquired a few Penn reels and a Shimano TLD Star 20/40 which I have upgraded with one of Alans 4/0 handles and arm. I have a few Ugly Stik Charter boat rods, a Shimano Voltaues for my 20/40 and an Ugly STIK Tiger spinning rod which wears a Spheros 6000FA. I found the spinning reel just doesn't cut it on the Charter boats so am thinking of selling it. What I do need and am asking for your expert advice here, is what rods can I pair up with my 500's, 309's, 209's, a future TLD Star 15/30 and whatever else I might find. I'm looking for something in the 6 to 7 foot range and more attune to what I am used to fishing the beautiful Kern river with. In another words, I want to feel the rock fish and not just haul it up. LONG WINDED but need your help!

Bryan Young

I like the jigging sticks, like Shimano Trevallas but it doesn't come in 7' lenghts.

How much are you interested in spending and what kind of line and # test will you be using?  Let me see what else I would buy based on your style of fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

usncporet

Thanks for the reply Bryan.
I'm looking at strictly party boats, Rock and Ling Cod, 20 to 30lb mono in 80 to 200' depth. 2 hook shrimp fly rigs and am venturing into jigs and homemade hexbar rigs. Just looking to get out of the house and have some fun and reconnect with the ocean, in style of course, so that is why I'm looking for some better gear to do it with. Price range is not a big concern, but........ Saving my pennies for a custom made UL river rod which is my biggest passion!

George4741

For purposes similar to yours I use mostly Penn 7' rods in the 30lb range, Mariners and Power Sticks.  Whenever I see them on sale for 20-30 dollars, I buy them.  I won't cry when they get broken. 
viurem lliures o morirem