Shimano Curado 300DSV

Started by Bucktail, August 02, 2009, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Hi Alan,

I just joined and want to first say congratulations on the site!  I have read your posts and tutorials on other sites and each one is extremely informative and well written.   You have a great gift for explaining, in both words and pictures, what can sometimes be a confusing subject.

I recently purchased a Shimano Curado 300DSV (the older silver one) for inshore saltwater use.  I just couldn't resist the clearance price. ;D 

Since my purchase I have been reading that this model has had a track record of corrosion problems (i.e. the pinion bearing rusting out as well as others).

Can you recommend any preventative steps I could take that would make this reel less susceptible to corrosion before I take it out in the salt?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

the curados that i've opened up have really been no worse than others.  if salt water gets inside anyone's shielded bearings, those bearings will fail.  if you still have the stock felt or composite drag washers, those will eventually stick.  without a light coat of grease, you'll get a little salt crystal garden growing no matter what.  do the standard service and you really should be fine.   um, and where was this clearance sale?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Quote from: alantani on August 05, 2009, 12:44:42 AM
um, and where was this clearance sale?

Alan,

Dick's Sporting Goods.  There aren't any in Northern California (yet).  Good deal though.  Reg. price was $249.  Between the clearance price and other discounts, I paid just over $100 for it! ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!