344 FJ

Started by Brendan, July 17, 2012, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Does anybody no if there is a washer under the main gear of this reel? I just replaced the existing washers with carbontex and there was nothing under the main gear.
Thanks, Brendan.

Bryan Young

There should have been a fiber washer under the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Thank's, I think it had 4 large fiber washers above the gear so I just put it back together as I found it. I'll do it one more time tomorrow with the one under the gear.
Thanks again, Brendan.

Brendan

I think it's a little different from the norm. The main gear is recessed for a full sized washer with a metal washer keyed over the AR gear that does not get a carbontex washer. I'm trying to post this with a cell phone so please excuse any blunders that I can't see.
Thanks, Brendan.

bluefish69

That is the old 4 stack. The sleeve has a SS Washer pressed on & the Main Gear has a groove in the bottom. I have a few of them, I put Cals on a Ht-100 & put that on the SS washer, then the main gear. Just build the Drag Stack as normal after that.

If you want a little extra drag- replace the beveled washer with a Penn Beveled Washer -- 18-505. It has less Flex then the Newell & thicker
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Brendan

Thank you,  I've been just winging this one with no schematics so I guess one more tear down is in order to check out that washer.
Thanks again, Brendan

Bryan Young

Hi Brendan,

This should be the overall schematics.

Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bryan

It is possible that the Bridge Sleeve in the diagram is different from what he has. The other bridge sleeve has a SS washer pressed on just like I described earlier in the thread. Carl used more than one type.

Bryan Young

It's possible, and I have found that a fiber washer is between the bridge sleeve metal washer and the main gear. So whether it's provided with a pressed on metal washer or not, there was a fiber washer between the gear sleeve assembly and the main gear.

bluefish69

Bryan

If I knew how to post pictures this would be an easy conversation. I take pictures & can't get them out of the camera.

Please don't try to teach me. I gave up. Between doing the galley on a fishing boat & Newell Reel repair I too busy.

Bryan Young

Lol.  I just got a reel that has a gear sleeve with a metal washer stamped into a gear sleeve. I'll try to take a picture this week.  Life happened with close friends returning from Japan for a vacation and customers visiting from Japan as well.  I even forgot to pick up needed parts from Alan's last night as well.  Arg.  Too busy or getting old.

Brendan

Bryan, I should have taken photos, your right there is a washer under the main gear. I thought it might get one under the next stainless washer as well kind of like the odd sized one typically under the main gear. After attempting to it became obvious it wasn't going to work. It interferes with the ar gear and dog. If I open it up again I'll try to get you some pictures.
Thanks, Brendan.