Which Progear?

Started by luis, April 10, 2009, 04:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luis

Hi Alan. I was looking at the pro gear reels. Since I know you have a few of them I was wondering which you recommend for some black fin tuna trolling, but also capable for Mutton snapper, and some grouper fishing? Thanks. Your friend in Florida.

alantani

the 500 series classics will handle 40# mono and a 30% drag setting easily.  the 600 series classics are good for a 50# topshot and 15# drag setting.  the albacore specials are similar, size and drag capacity-wise.  the older 250 series are basically jigmasters, good for 30# mono topshots and 9#'s of drag.  the older 450's series are basically 4/0 senators, go for 40-50# topshots and 15#'s of drag.  which ones are you looking at?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

luis

I'm not very familiar with any of them. I can't get alot of info on them, mostly opinions. I am looking at the albacore series. I would like to get one with more than 15 lbs of drag. Out of any of the styles which do you think sounds ideal for me?

alantani

i actually fish my progear 500/501/550/551's with up to 15#'s of drag, but i have extra gears if i shred them.  get one of the classic series 600's. 

alantani

Quote from: alantani on April 10, 2009, 08:31:41 PM
the 500 series classics will handle 40# mono and a 30% drag setting easily.  the 600 series classics are good for a 50# topshot and 15# drag setting.  the albacore specials are similar, size and drag capacity-wise.  the older 250 series are basically jigmasters, good for 30# mono topshots and 9#'s of drag.  the older 450's series are basically 4/0 senators, go for 40-50# topshots and 15#'s of drag.  which ones are you looking at?  alan

sorry about the confusion.  the 500 series classics can easily handle a 40 pound mono topshot with a 30% drag setting of 12 pounds.  the 600 series can easily handle 50 pound mono topshot with a 30% drag setting of 15 pounds. 

luis

Maybe I'm missing something. Do they still sell the 600 series? Were do I purchase them from? I'm not seeing much info. By the way Alan Happy Easter to you and your family!

alantani

well, no, luis, that's part of the problem.  they are not being made anymore.   ;D