Before Posting, including photos, videos,...

Started by Bryan Young, July 27, 2012, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi Folks,

As we have a lot of new members, I would like to remind everyone of the house rules.  Members are considered ohana (family) or guests, and rightly so, we request that everyone keeps the house rules in mind, as if you are entering my house for a visit.

1.  12 years old rule - This is probably the most important rule that, as adults, we often forget.  The language and visual pictures/videos shall be appropriate for a 12 years old girl to read, hear or see...Okay, we have all heard dirty mouth kids, but I am referring to an innocent 12 years old girl.

2.  Respect - Don't grouse about the ex-wife or anyone publicly for that matter on this site.  It's just not an appropriate means for this stuff here.

3.  Welcoming - Alan said it best: 
Quote from: alantani on May 02, 2011, 02:09:34 AM
seems kind of funny that i would say this, huh!  there is no bullying here.  there is no profanity.  no one has ever called anyone an idiot. and yet, some people still feel akward posting things.  usually they're just starting out and need to ask a question that we've answered a dozen times.  they might have done an unsuccessful search already because the search function on this board does not work very well.  there are alot of problems that will crop up, and most of us know how to fix them, yet someone just starting out may come across these problems and see them as insurmountable. the reason that i know this is because these questions are often still directed to me in a pm or e-mail.  and i still answer every one.  not always right away, but i do answer them. 

but everyone should feel comfortable posting questions here, right?  well, apparently some people don't.  something funny has happened.  we appear to have attracted some serious talent.  that's fine.  but we also have developed a sense of camaraderie, and that makes some new people hang back.  we all know what it's like.  you're the new guy, maybe at work, maybe a new club of some sort.  a bunch of guys are standing in a group, all laughing and having a good time.  unfriendly?  definitely not!  and if a new guy approaches, is he welcomed?  absolutely, yes!  but for many, a group like that is still difficult to approach. 

so what to do?  well, here's my suggestion.  when someone posts a question, let's all make an effort to concentrate and stay focused on the new guy and the question that he has.  keep the side banter to a minimum and let's not get sidetracked.  if you think of a side issue, consider a separate post.  very few threads on any board stay focused on the original question once it get's past a half dozen responses.  to me, it's important that a guy can come in here and feel like he can get help he needs.  we were all "the new guy" at some point in our lives, and we've all had to turn to one person or another for help before.  i hope this will work for everybody!  rob, thank you.  and to everyone else, got a question?  post it on whatever board is close to your topic and you WILL get a response.  even if it's an "i dunno....".  we are all here to help.  alan

4.  Proactive - All reels are not perfect for every single person.  Reel companies are in the business to make money, and every company has to decide on what is considered acceptable quality, reliability,...  If reel companies made a perfect reel, how many of us would pay the price?  That is why we are here, to help you maintain and upgrade your reels from DIY to repair professionals to manufacturing representatives.   If you find a problem with your reel, focus on the problem, and how it could be fixed.  Bashing because of where it's from, who made it,...does no one any good as others out there may have the same reel, and are searching for solutions or upgrades.  For example, when I first met Alan, I brought over my first lever drag reel.  It's a Pfleuger Contender.  Graphite frame, and cost me $75.  He took it apart and showed me the benefits my lever drag reel, which, by the way, included a carbon fiber drag washer (cool, for a $75 reel).  He also provided me with areas of concerns, such as dry drag washer, ungreased bearings, and so forth.

I'm sure you can figure out the rest. 

So, if your posting is deleted, revised, and get a warning from any of our Moderators/Administrators, please don't get offended.  They are maintaining the level of standard as indicated.

Thank you for your participation and cooperations.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D