lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on December 18, 2011, 06:27:39 PM
i just finshed working on a reel that took me two hours instead of 20 minutes.  the guy use that tacky light blue grease for the bearings of trailer axles, instead of good quality marine grease.  gentlemen, please do not use the light blue trailer bearing grease,  it's awful stuff. 
You have to charge for time and materials when that happens.  That's a 6 to 1 ratio.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 18, 2011, 06:35:26 PM
[You have to charge for time and materials when that happens.  That's a 6 to 1 ratio.  Dominick
Yea, why don't you try this ratio? That's six 7up's and 1 zin, and not the other way around  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

It's a Sunday afternoon.  What does one drink with their pizza?  Maybe I ought to start another thread.  Nah! not fishing related unless its anchovy pizza.  Sal: Do you still drink 7up with your wine?  Maybe I'll try it again.  I haven't had wine with 7up since I was 5 years old.  ;) Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Killerbug

Quote from: alantani on September 17, 2010, 09:03:08 AM

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,26443.0.html

Quote from: Dale L on September 15, 2010, 06:03:49 PM
I wanted to throw in on quick comment here.

I work in an oil refinery lab, we don't make lubes of any kind any more but long ago we did make a complete variety of lubes including marine lubes and greases including something called "blue grease".  I had the pleasure of working with some old lube oil research people.

The point is, there are additives in marine lubes that absolutely do work to protect against salt water corrosion.  They don't put these additives in non-marine lubes.

We used to do tests where we would immerse fresh polished carbon steel in marine lube oil, then add synthetic sea water then after some constant mixing, heat, and aging time, check the condition of the steel probe.  The protection offered by marine lubes was phenomenal.  The probes would generally come out looking as good as when they went in. We did a similar test once with automotive motor oil, the probe looked like a turd after the test.  

So in short, always used a lube designed for the use, don't short cut or get in a hurry and use non-marine lubes in marine apps.

Yes they do, I guess he means Barium Dinonylnaphthalene Sulfonate, or Neutral Barium Dinonylnaphthalene Sulfonate. Anti rust additives are common in many modern oil products, also in automotive greases.  
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Jimmer

KB do you know which marine greases use the barium compounds? I think this is the stuff that is supposed to make TSI 301/321 so effective - Thanks - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Killerbug

There are hundreds, or maybe thousands of different grease products on the market, so the best thing  is to look at the data sheet, or the medical sheet that normally is available on the manufactures homepage.  But beware that "marine grease" is a just a branding name, it covers both products made particular for stem tubes(that emulsifies and expands) as well as more water resistant products.  You will also find all kinds of thickeners in "marine grease", Alu, Calcium, Lithium etc, barium soap can also be used as thickener.

Many greases and oils targeting the hobby market, has no data sheets available, but claims to be full of wonder compounds. This is just to prevent the customers to discover that it's just a basic oil.  I would never buy an oil product,like for an engine that comes without data sheet, too risky if you have paid 20.000 $ for your engine!. 

For fishing reels I use a cheap product made for military trucks and stuff, it has rust inhibitors, essential to modern car products because we use
salt on the roads in winter.   

bdoc

why not just use plain fishing reel oil and grease? I use abu garcia reels so I use garcia oil and grease. I fish fresh water and do not have any problems

coastalobsession

because there is better stuff out there. You get what you pay for!
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Dominick

Quote from: bdoc on December 27, 2011, 03:15:10 AM
I fish fresh water and do not have any problems
That's why it is not necessary to use grease with salt inhibitors.  Dominick

AllenW

I'm not so sure "you get what you pay for" is always true anymore, I tend to do what Killerbug does and do a bit in investigating before I spend my money.imho

That and past exprience plays a part also.

But like bdoc, I only fish fresh water so my needs are different than someone in the salt.

Al

Killerbug

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 27, 2011, 07:27:54 PM
Quote from: bdoc on December 27, 2011, 03:15:10 AM
I fish fresh water and do not have any problems
That's why it is not necessary to use grease with salt inhibitors.  Dominick

Acidic freshwater, combined with certain types of algae, can be more corrosive than salt-water.  It's not a black and white thing.  If you take a look at my Okuma Tutorial, I posted a good example of how corrosive some kinds of fresh water environment can be.

bobt

Quote from: alantani on September 15, 2010, 07:25:22 PM
greases and oils - an update (9/14/2010)

(Alan's quote)so right now it's yamaha marine all purpose blue grease for all the non-exposed metal surfaces, cal's drag grease for carbon fiber drag washer, corrosion x for a general purpose low speed oil (bearings, levelwinds, handles), and tsi 301 for high speed bearings and levelwinds.

As a newcomer to the site I have found it loaded with great information.  Having read every post on tools, lubricants, Yamaha grease and more I have learned a lot, but as a primarliy small spinner user, I have one open question.  What grease do you recommend for use inside small spinners, like Shimano Stradics, Sustain and even some Penn?  I saw your tutorial on Stradic 2500 where you referenced the Shimano Permalube grease, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.  You also referenced trying the Boca Bearing grease.

So the question, what grease do you recommend for the workings of small to medium (2000 to 6000 models) spinners?   Purely Saltwater usage.  Getting ready to redo all the family's reels, about a dozen and would like to do a good job. And if the Shimano Permalube, any idea where to get it?

inhotpursuit

(Alan's quote)so right now it's yamaha marine all purpose blue grease for all the non-exposed metal surfaces, cal's drag grease for carbon fiber drag washer, corrosion x for a general purpose low speed oil (bearings, levelwinds, handles), and tsi 301 for high speed bearings and levelwinds.

As a newcomer to the site I have found it loaded with great information.  Having read every post on tools, lubricants, Yamaha grease and more I have learned a lot, but as a primarliy small spinner user, I have one open question.  What grease do you recommend for use inside small spinners, like Shimano Stradics, Sustain and even some Penn?  I saw your tutorial on Stradic 2500 where you referenced the Shimano Permalube grease, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.  You also referenced trying the Boca Bearing grease.

So the question, what grease do you recommend for the workings of small to medium (2000 to 6000 models) spinners?   Purely Saltwater usage.  Getting ready to redo all the family's reels, about a dozen and would like to do a good job. And if the Shimano Permalube, any idea where to get it?
[/quote]
All of the above are what i use in my US reel spinners and Tica spinners along with a carbontex washer upgrade i like to mix my yamaha grease with lloyds ad2000(basically the same as corrosion x)to give it a slightly thinner viscosity to coat the insides , this is my preferance but as you can see by the replys there are lots of choices

bobt

Since I already have both the Yamaha marine grease and the CorrosionX, I like the idea of created a somewhat thinner blend for my spinners.  Any suggestions on mix ratio?

inhotpursuit

I would say about 5-1 yamaha grease - corrosion x  i don't really measure it,mix it in a small glass jar and stir with a small stiff bristle brush i like the consistancy of soft butter just enough corrosion x to make the grease more spreadable but not runny.