topless frame - shimano charter special tr 1000/2000 back in stock, jan 2018

Started by alantani, August 19, 2009, 06:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbah

Alan,

After reading through this post...I was really intrigued by the Charter Special and this mod.  While I was browsing for more information on the Shimano site, I found the site lists the following information:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/conventional/charter_special.html#

Under the specs tab, it shows drag of 22# at strike and 33# at full.  Is this information correct?  Did they do something with the newer models that dramatically increased the drag?

Looking forward to your input.

BTW...these reels are hard to find used...

alantani

it's possible, but 15#'s at strike is the best i've ever been able to get without a bothersome amount of side load on the right main side plate bearing.  still, 15#'s outperforms the avet mx series.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishead

Any chance he could make some topless frames for TLD 20's.Love the reel,hate the top crossbar,it rubs the line if you put too much on it or someone doesnt levelwind the line on properly on a full reel.I would be in for 6 for sure & my friends would take some too.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

i'm sure he could, but it would double the price of a reel that is already marginal.  looking at a 4/0 standard or 4/0 wide reel,  leaving it single speed might seem to many like a waste.

Fishead

Yeah it might be a little pricey but maybe cheaper than new reels,since I already have the TLD's.I really dont need 2 speed reels that size over on this coast so the single speed works fine for me.I dont like to play with my food so I put out the big guns if there is a chance of bigger fish.I would be interested in a price on these frames.Thanks

alantani

also, if you are not exceeding 18 pounds of drag, you will be fine with the graphite frame.  will you be going over 18 pounds?  the minimum order for a frame would be 50 pieces and at a cost of $80-90 each......   :o

Fishead

No I would not go over 18 lbs drag.I fish either 20 or 30 on the reels.I just hate the fact that the top crossbar rubs the line if you really fill the reel or happen to bunch up the line a little on a full reel.I have thought about about grinding the inner part of the crossbar  down to allow for a little more leeway.I think the reel w/o the bar would be awesome !! I would be good for 10 frames but that still leaves 40 to be sold.Anyone else Interested??

alantani

well, don't start cutting away at the graphite.  that won't work at all.  the problem is that these reels are just no strong enough to take full advantage of the new spectra lines that are now available.  to do so, you would need both an aluminum frame AND side plates. 

CooldadE

I know its an old thread but what ever happened to the Charter Special topless frames ? Did you sell out? Are they available any where ?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

still have a few left of both sizes.  send a pm with your address and i'll ship one out.  alan

Gaujo

Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2011, 02:48:18 AM
mike, the tld 15 is a pretty big reel, similar in size to a 3/0 penn 112h.  it's a great reel for straight 30# mono, but very few of us fish straight mono anymore.  for a 3/0 size reel, i would load it with 400 yards of 80# spectra, tie on a short topshot of 60# fluoro, and set the drags to 20 pounds.  unfortunately, the tld 15 will barely deliver 15#'s of drag. 

for the narrow charter special tr 1000, you are looking at a max of 12-15 drags.  spool it up with 400 yards of 50# spectra, a short topshot of 40# fluoro and set the drag to 12 pounds.  if you have a charter special tr 2000, you're looking at 400 yards of 65# spectra and a 50# spectra.  you can get 15#'s of drag at the absolute very most, but it would be a huge strain on the drag system.  figure 12 pounds of drag here as well. 

of note, the avet sx and jx will deliver only 9 pounds of drag.  so yes, the hotrodded charter special will outperform the avet.  that's why the topless frame is so nice.  as far as the cost goes, i have not decided what the margin will be on the frames.  guess i'd better decide soon. 

Mr. T im confused here.  It seems like your saying both the tld 15 and the tr2000 put out 15# of drag,  but isnt the tr2000 supposed to be 22 strike / 33 full?
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

alantani

i've never had a charter special put out that much useable drag before.  at that point, i would start worrying about the graphite frames. 

Gaujo

Understood, so what is the benefit of a charter over the TLD, if both have the max usable drag of 15#?

Ooooh i think i just figured out the answer, lets see if I got it right:  the new metal frame lets the charter get into it's higher drag range?  So >15#?
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

alantani

no, the charter special is a smaller reel.  the TR 1000 is good for straight 50# spectra with a short 40# topshot and 12 pounds of drag.  the TR 2000 is good for straight 65# spectra and a short topshot of 50# spectra and 15 pounds of drag.  the tld 15 will hold a good amount of 80# spectra, but the frame must not be pushed to 18#'s of drag.  with hotrodding, you might get that level of performance, but the frame could crack.  the main point to having a topless charter special frame is to get rid of the levelwind assembly. 

michaelc

There has been some confusion about the charter specials drag for quite a while. This is how I think it came about!  The Shimano site some how took the 15lbs from Shimanos north American site and displayed it as 15kg on Shimano Australia site.  The myth was then perpetuated when the 15kg was then translated to 33lb back on the Shimano north American site.

I really like(so do my mates) my Charter Special 2000 with the full Tani mods.  The only part now that looks a little weak and a possible wear point is the alloy pinion gear. A stainless pinion to go with the already stainless main gear would be the only other mod I could imagine. Anyone else think this or is it just overkill.