topless frame - shimano charter special tr 1000/2000 back in stock, jan 2018

Started by alantani, August 19, 2009, 06:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the main and pinion gears should both be stainless steel.  or at least that's the way they look. 

as far as the drag range goes, anyone who knows this reel, or any others in the same slze, would never for a moment think that a reel like this could safely reach a 30# drag rating. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

michaelc

The pinion on mine is definately some kind of alloy. The reel is quite new , bought to go with the topless frame.  A small amount of wear is visable on the pinion.   

alantani

i dunno what to say.  gears in reels like this HAVE to be hardened stainless steel.   :-\

CaptKev

Hi Alan,

Did you get another batch of frames? Do you have any older ones left? Price? I'm still contemplating...

I have 8 of the 1000 size in my charter operation and lots of spare parts. The R side main bearing takes a beating when used with drag and handle upgrades, but my customers love the smaller sized reels for Albies. Now if I could get them stop setting the drags too tight and or playing with preset knob, I could put more fish in the box!

TLDs are a bit pricey after the upgrades. The Daiwa 350h seem to be built tough, but are they? A friend/charter owner bought thirty Daiwa 450H's for tuna trips. After a few trips, he returned all of them and switched to TLD25s. After looking the Daiwa tutorial, those stock drag washers were probably 99% of his problem. I'm not convinced the Toriums are all they're touted to be, especially for the price.

Maybe the topless frames are exactly what I need.

alantani

ok, skipper, here goes! 

the charter special - one of my all time favorite reels, yet i do not own a single one.  it has the flimsiest levelwind line guide in the entire world.  i mean, c'mon, it's like putting ballet slippers on a football player.  the advantage is that you can get an easy 12 pounds of drag out of this reel, making it perfect for 50 pound spectra and a 40 pound topshot. 

i still have the frames.  i ordered a second batch with the cross bar lowered.  i still sell them AT COST.  add a carbontex drag washer and a stainless steel handle arm and 4/0 kolekar grip and you will have a killer reel.  the frame, drag washer and handle grip add $115 to the price of the reel.  there is no rational way to justify this expense, which is part of the reason that i've sold so many.  a topless charter special.  yes, we are still talking about a fishing reel.  it is unique. 

the shimano tld star 15/30 - you can look at the tutorial and decide for yourself.  upgrade the drags, clean out the bearings, and bolt on a stainless steel handle and you have a killer reels.  65 pound spectra and a 50 pound topshot is where i'd put this reel.  you could also fish with reel with straight 30 pound mono. 

a tld 20 single or two speed - don't go for the wider reels.  stick with narrow.  i have drags, handles and tutorials for both.  i personally fish with the tld 20 two speed for local albacore.  i've done a full service on them, then beat on them for the last 5 years and they have never missed a beat.  mine are spooled with spectra and a 60 pound topshot.  you could also go straight 50 pound mono. 

if i were going to put together a set of reels for a charter operation, it would be the tld star 15/30 for light stuff and the tld 20 two speed for heavy stuff. how does this sound?  clear as mud, huh.  i just don't want you spending more money than you have to.

CaptKev

How much again for the frames? I need 6 smaller, maybe 8? Cost is always a factor when I buy in multiples of 6 and 8, but my clients fish what I fish with recreationally.

Toriums? Thoughts...

What do you think of the Daiwa Sealines, like the topless aluminum frame 350H? I know it's a star drag which for novices seems to be easier. Yeah or nay?

I've got the 4/0 handles, bellevilles, & drags washer which made a huge difference. All my bearings were open from the factory. Most of the time, I use them on the troll with Ugly Stiks USCC 2270M's. My customers say they love them. I've been using 40# and 50# spectra. Spectra/mono tangles are a real PITA so I might switch to straight mono just to make my life easy.

Pretty sure the smaller charter specials don't have enough line capacity even with 40#, 175 yards maybe? 150-175 yards would work provided I respooled when I macrame lines. Maybe I'll try spooling one with 40# mono just to see how line I can pack on? I can really pack a spool w/o a levelwind. Once I get my 30' outriggers reinstalled, avoiding tangles will be much easier. I troll 7-9 lines.     

Yes, the levelwind is a love/hate thing, but so far no failures. I always explain that inserting ones fingers into the levelwind when Mr. Albacore takes off is a self correcting problem and will take the reel out of service for the day.

Most of our fish are under 40#, 20-30# is the norm. Not sure if a 2-speed is necessary. I like the stock 20/25 TLD's, but I'm sure a modded would be great but cost? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy some gold and silver Shimanos or Internationals? 

jlezama

Hi Alan
          I wonder if the frame would fit a tr 200g? It seems "close" in terms of size so I was curious (and interested in one if it does!)
Best
Juan

alantani

jlezama

Fair enough,
ok well, any plans for the 200g?  ;D
Thanks!
Juan

alantani

no.  it's a pretty slow reel.  if you want a small star drag reel with an all aluminum after-market chassis, look at frame for the daiwa sealine graphite series reels.  they are very nice. 

jlezama

In the meantime, I will still give another look into the charter specials if you are still selling the frames, wanna find some setups for my soon-to-be paddle board and that seemed solid, will stop by soon!
Take care
Juan

Hockne

Are these frames available? I'm looking for one
Thanks in advance,
Ross

mikeg24thst

I'm interested in a frame for my charter 200 how much and are they still available

alantani

same price, still available.  send a pm with address and i'll get it shipped out!

CooldadE

Quote from: alantani on August 19, 2009, 04:59:37 PM
QuoteHi Alan, You helped me a while back with one of my old squidders and I appreciate it. I'm in the market for a newer reel and have considered the saltist 20 or avet sx....is the 1000 model of the charter special about the same size? And, would you recommend it over these other two reels? Because I can't afford a rod and reel for everything, I'm looking for the best all around set up. Most of my fishing is local (Ventura to Morro Bay), so I'm rock fishing, bass, etc. Also, what's the cost to upgrade the Charter? From what I can see on line, they come as a level wind, so this would all go away, right?  Thanks for the advice, Dennis

hi, dennis!  the goofed up frame for the charter special is $55 for the TR 1000 and $58 for the TR2000.  when the new ones come out at the end of the year, they will be $90-100.  still, it is not a cheap upgrade.  the carbontex washer is $10 (i have a cheaper one), the kolekar handle is $23 or $27 if you want one, and service is $40 (takes an hour).    the reel is midway in size between the sx and saltist 20, and i think it's far superior to both.  alan

Hey Alan, in your last post you said you had them and they were the same price...Do you have goofed up ones and or updated frames ? Are the above prices what I should go by ?
Thanks...
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...