Tarpon Florida Keys

Started by Anjoemara, August 06, 2012, 06:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjoemara

Hello Guys,

Need your help. Next year, end of May, I want to visit sunny Florida. Need some tan  ;D
I want to fish at the Florida Keys for tarpon. Is there a'n opportunity to catch this beautiful fish at reasonable prices.
I dont have the money to pay $ 500-600 for a one day trip? Do have have any information, please let me know. Maybe there is a captain which is higly recommended?
Much appreciated. Regards.

onemako

I just got back from islamorada and spend the month of July and Oct there.
The typical backcountry rates are about 100 hr.
Several questions
1 Are you wanting to fly fish or live lining.
2 will you be fishing alone or group
Now some options
Tarpon in May is excellent. You can rent a skiff (bayboat) which is great in the flats (gulf side) and weekly rental will run you about 1200. Typical set up is to catch or purchase pin fish and float them in the channels. That time of the year doesnt require any great tricks as the poons will be stacked in the flats.
My next suggestion is to go to floridasportsman.com then go under the two keys forums and inquire about sharing a boat with someone.
If you opt out for renting a boat I can tell you where to fish and the set up.
A great place to stay is a small motel called Pines and Palms in Islamorada and they have docking facilities for the boat and can arrange to have a boat waiting on you. I stay there all the time and it is a family run quiet place. Not a fancy resort.

Anjoemara

Thanks for the answer Onemako. Much appreciated. Two persons. Fly fishing and live lining is our goal.

onemako

Fly fishing becomes complicated and almost requires a guide unless you are very familiar with the area. Lots of the fly fishing will be in the glades and in the backcountry cuts and islands. If you decide to opt for live baiting you can do it yourself without much trouble. Let me know your status as the time nears. Check the forum I gave you and that will also provide a wealth of info. I dont fly fish so cant help you much in that area.  Tight lines.

saltydog

Well down in the Keys with a decent rod and reel you can catch Tarpon almost anywhere.Live mullet or pinfish are your best bet and even scraps of dead fish around the docks will get you bit.Do you know where in the Keys you are going.As for fly fishing just get in your car and look for rolling fish,try to find a place you can wade to them and go get them,but don't get frustrated.You will only land one out of ten you hook and see hundreds that refuse your most bueatiful of casts,they can drive a man to drink.During the summer in Floridia alot of guys walk the beaches all day looking for the schools that run the surf especially on the west coast.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur