Everol 12/0 - a once-over with all the trimmings...

Started by redsetta, August 08, 2012, 10:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This is an old thread but still amazing work from Justin and Keith.
Everol's have come a long way since then and I was intimidated at first looking at all those ball bearings and springs.
The newer models are a lot easier to service.
The work done by Justin on that old reel is amazing. :o
These two gents are truly masters at their craft. ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

This drag is now so smooth. Everol included more springs that were in the reel originally so I installed them all that we're sent. At 10 lbs on the quadrant the drag is almost 20 lbs. The owner wanted to keep it this way.

He uses it for big Tuna trolling along with his Tiagra's and International reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Sounds like he is trolling in style. 8)
Tell him to snag some bait for me. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 13, 2016, 04:46:06 PM
Sounds like he is trolling in style. 8)
Tell him to snag some bait for me. ;)

I did Daron. I'm looking for Bonita and Blackfin. Also King Mackerel.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

handi2

I picked up another Everol 9/0 for me this time. I got for a steal by trading a new Talica 20 II for it. I got the Talica at 40% off thru Shimano.

This one is super nice and perfect inside. All the bearings were good even the roller bearing for the main shaft. Those are always rusted shut.

I ordered another 9/0 carbon drag kit from Everol and its on the way. The one I did earlier was super smooth.

The drag assembly on this one looks like new with no wear marks and plenty of material left.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Nice.

That ARB is pretty serious looking.  Italian reel... French bearings...makes sense to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

handi2

The pictures are how it was when taking it apart. I didn't even try the drag but it looks fine and was lightly greased. I just have to put the new carbon drag in. It's amazing.

The spool bearings were already opened and lightly greased. It looks like Penn grease in the reel.

I'll probably never use it. I just think they are cool! Double alternating dogs set up like the Baja but massive with pulling springs. The main gear keeps the dogs in place.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on May 15, 2016, 09:37:57 PM

I just think they are cool!   

I couldn't agree more. Really neat, excellent looking reels.

ksandin

What a great tutorial.  Thank you!  It gave me the courage to pick up a 9/0 at a pretty good price.  I was concerned it would have suffered the same fate as your 12/0. The owner said he'd only used it 3 or 4 times and never had it serviced or apart.  Fortunately there was no corrosion or rust inside, even the needle bearings looked new.  It had old brown grease in it in all the right areas I guess.  I cleaned all the old out and lubed everything. It is a serious piece of machinery. I would have really been intimidated about taking it apart without this post. 

I'm very pleased with it, and really didn't realize how large it was until it arrived.  I'd say it's just a bit narrower than my 80stw. 

The unfortunate part of getting it is now I think I need 3 others.

Shark Hunter

Nice reel ksandin. I love me some Everol's. ;D
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Im really impressed with how these Everol reels are put together. Wish they made smaller models that I could make use of....Jeff

Shark Hunter

They do Jeff.
The T Shot Series look really nice. They also make a smaller VJ model.
Life is Good!