Shimano Baitrunner 4000D Tutorial [Picture intensive]

Started by Quoc_Pham, August 21, 2014, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

WOW - VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!  you inspire me to tackle my own Shimonstrosity -- rear drag AND worm gear AND smaller 2500-size AND it's an old JDM, so I'll be working w/ the original Japanese paper schematic & magnifier   ::)

FYI:

"This was a bit tricky, after the roller bearing came off a small washer and a thick spacer came off. These parts are not in the Baitrunner Schematic from Shimano."

the thin "small washer" is a shim -- presence/absence/thickness/number of shims is a variable that often doesn't match schematics

the "thick spacer" is considered part of the roller bearing assembly (#13444) -- hence no part# & absent from schematic -- it's what the rollers "grab" to stop the rotor, so it has to be a matched set.  I can imagine the tiniest variation in diameter being a major issue, but I've been pretty lucky swapping ones that look the same among different Shimano's without problems.  On the other hand, I had to learn the hard way to reinstall that puppy "fat side up" -- a picture in the schematic could have saved me some grief.

rod27

sorry to resurrect this old thread....is there an updated tutorial without the photobucket restrictions on seeing the pictures?  I need to fix my baitrunner 4000.

philaroman

you can right-click on the blurry photo & open it in another tab/window in PB (clear; no PB logo)

if you're lucky, all the photos in original poster's PB album are in order (w/ possible extra's)
& you can scroll around in PB, while popping over to AT for the text

otherwise, you have to do the right-click maneuver fo every photo

Pezcarrete Reparaciones

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this picture heavy post!!!!

It totally help me today in positioning the springs and a couple of other parts.

you ROCK

Quoc_Pham

Glad it helped! I only did this once or twice... and vowed never to do it again lol... maybe a video is more helpful but this was done quite a few years ago.

Quoc_Pham

redsetta

Amazing how the years go by!
It remains an impressive piece of work Quoc.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ruffy

Hi Team, long time since I've posted here but thought this may help someone else. I was gifted one of these by a friend about a year ago; it was DOA and he said if I could fix it I could have it. Winding the handle gave me the impression of a stripped gear, it sat on my shelf for about a year before I had time to get around to it.

Tearing it down confirmed my suspicions. Instead of replacing with the same pot metal gear, I took a punt on ordering the gear set from a Thunnus Ci4 4000. These are the "Hagane" main gears, I think they are heat treated machined metal and meant to be stronger. Both pinions looked the same. The main gears were nearly physically identical, with the exception being the shaft length. See the pictures for a better look.

The shorter shaft meant that when I put my 4000D handle in the Ci4 gear, the thread reached the end inside the gear before the handle could 'snug' up against the gear shaft, leaving a gap which lead to the pivot of the handle allowing significant play (see the small gap in the handle pic). To remedy this I just had to put three washers (M5 stainless steel) on the handle shaft.

All in all it is now "better than new". I will say these gears were significantly more expensive than the originals, at about 3 times the price of the pot metal variant. I shouldn't have the same problem though...

Cheers,
Andrew