trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

Started by alantani, August 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maine guide

Just finished upgrading the torium 20 Dog/spring and carbontex drags. Very simple with this tutorial.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

drewsung

Alan,

I've done the drag upgrade and spring pawl addition but have a question.  Does the anti-reverse bearing matter anymore?  It seems like the spring/pawl system is sufficient by itself (like a Newell and other reels).  I guess the arb is still doing work with a safe backup if it fails.  Do I have that right?

One other question: the new accurate bx2 (dpx2 series) reels have a triple dog and arb in the smaller models for a more reliable anti-reverse system (one always engaged).  How is this different from the previous bx2 series?  Did those just have an arb with a single dog prone to failure under heavy drag/failing arb (not engaged 100% of the time)?

Bryan Young

Quote from: drewsung on October 15, 2012, 03:46:33 AM
I've done the drag upgrade and spring pawl addition but have a question.  Does the anti-reverse bearing matter anymore?  It seems like the spring/pawl system is sufficient by itself (like a Newell and other reels).  I guess the arb is still doing work with a safe backup if it fails.  Do I have that right?
The ARB is still working.  To the angler, there is not back play of the handle which everone likes.  Then, when the drag is exceeded, it slips and the pawl and racket picks it up.  You don't feel a thing, but it's engaged.

Quote from: drewsung on October 15, 2012, 03:46:33 AM
One other question: the new accurate bx2 (dpx2 series) reels have a triple dog and arb in the smaller models for a more reliable anti-reverse system (one always engaged).  How is this different from the previous bx2 series?  Did those just have an arb with a single dog prone to failure under heavy drag/failing arb (not engaged 100% of the time)?
I believe that the BX2 series used 2 ARBs stacked in-line, so the stopping power was based on the combination of 2 ARBs working instead of one.  Those, like the previous reels, were prone to failing under heavy drag.  Th triple dog should eliminate that issue.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if i am not mistaken the 2nd generation bx2 has only 1 ARB...

Bryan Young

Was that one with a longer ARB?  If so, I think you are right.  Man, I'm getting old.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

bryan you're right, the BX2 has 2. confused it with the BX which has only 1...

Joker

Quote from: Sylvester on March 12, 2012, 09:25:49 AM
Hi Alan,

We have had the same issues here in SA with the anti-reverse on the Toriums and Trinis being a big problem. A well serviced Anti-reverse bearing is the best way to no get your knuckles damaged. Our local reel Mechanic has also had his own Pawls and gear made up here in Cape Town and along with that had a spring fashioned to give the "clicking" action. He has been doing these conversion for a few years now and it certainly does work! I will see if he will be so kind as to volunteer a few pics of his converted parts. He also has some very special spool mods which he does and it really turns the Toriums into casting machines. We regularly throw them up to and well over 150m with our heavy Shark rods and thick lines!

I have one of the Tor30 conversions done by the mentioned reel mechanic. Its been trouble free for the past three years.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

JasonF

Forgive my confusion, but am I correct in assuming that the spacer washer is unecessary if you are using a TN-20dc dog instead of an altered stock dog?

alantani

rjones

I tried ordering the TGT1303 and TGT1304 on line and everywhere has them listed as obsolete and out of stock.  Does any one have these or know where to source them from?

Rob
Rob

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

rob, i still have some.  send my an e-mail with your address and i will ship it out. 

rjones

Thanks Alan I sent you an e-mail.

Rob
Rob

bowbah

Does anyone know where I can get the parts?

Shimano is out of stock and will not be getting them for a couple of months.