trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

Started by alantani, August 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

a damaged ambassaduer style dog is a sign of one of two things.  either the anti-reverse roller bearing is slipping or the drag is sticking, or both.  both of these problems appear as the reel ages. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kimbo

Replaced the drags with carbontex when I changed the pawl, reel has been working fine.

rod27

I used a friends older Trinidad 40 on a 7ft rod with 65ish braid for big muttons and grouper and I really like the compact and easy feel of that setup.  I could easily use it for jigging tuna or other pelagics also.  It could also be trolled.  Doing alot of reading and seems I want to match em up with some aqua blue Terez rods to match the boat(yes shimano marketting works).  Any opinions on what if any is a better reel to fish 65-80 lb braid for what I'm trying to do?  I have plenty of trolling outfits and 2 Saragosas for jigging so this is more of a bottom setup first.

basto

Interesting that Shimano has put the eared type dogs on the new Trinidad A. Yes, I know it has 2 of them, but I think I would rather the single sprung dog system on the DC.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

alantani

shimano's market surveys probably indicated that THIS was what the public wanted, regardless of the risks. 

ReelSpeed

My take on it is that reel manufacturers want a silent anti-reverse first.. at almost any cost.

I have a really good idea that would make it completely silent yet strong like a spring loaded dog.. starting to think I should get a patent on it..  ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

basto

Yes, a lot of guys just don`t like a reel that clicks.   

basto

The Talica 20 two speed has 3 of these Ambassadeur style pawls.

Black Widow Tackle

You going to let us know:)

Quote from: ReelSpeed on June 08, 2011, 10:09:26 PM
My take on it is that reel manufacturers want a silent anti-reverse first.. at almost any cost.

I have a really good idea that would make it completely silent yet strong like a spring loaded dog.. starting to think I should get a patent on it..  ;D

Black Widow Tackle

Quote from: alantani on May 12, 2011, 08:17:18 AM
i never looked into the taller AR bearing and sleeve any further.  the spring loaded dog basically took care of the problem.  alan

Did you ever look into this since then?  Can it be done?  Thanks

Board4life

Quote from: Black Widow Tackle on June 10, 2011, 02:01:24 PM
You going to let us know:)

Quote from: ReelSpeed on June 08, 2011, 10:09:26 PM

You get any further on this great idea yet? I am interested.

alantani

the trinidad DC dog and spring drop right in without the washer.  for the second dog, the spring has to be bent out quite a ways.  and the base needs to be ground down a little for the spring to lay flush.  when i get this last batch of reels done, i will do a post on this.  alan

alantani

it's the trinidad dc spring.  the pawl is the orginal one from the plain trinidad or torium reels with the leaf springs removed.  they are thinner.  that's why the washer was needed. 

franky

Ahh.  There you go.

Thanks a million Alan.  

tacoma09

where do I order the prawl spring and prawl?  Does any one have it locally? Hawaii?