trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

Started by alantani, August 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEM

I called Shimano today to order the Trinidad dc pawl and spring today. The Shimano rep asked me what reel I was putting these parts on and when I told him I was upgrading my Torium 20 he sent them to me free of charge.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

I stopped by Shimano yesterday and they just gave me two of the pawls and springs.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

That's nice, I think I have one set left.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I put the DC pawl/spring in my 16 today. I had to leave the screws in the pawl keeper fairly loose or the pawl doesn't engage.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Hone it down with a sharpening stone to make it thinner.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

or put 2 very small washers under the keeper to lift it up a bit.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

Well, I just called shimano to order more springs and pawls as my supply is running low, and they are out.  I especially needed more springs for any Tekotas as I figured out a bend that works on Tekotas.

Anyway,

Not sure when they will replenish their stock.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

triumphrick

I seem to be doing quite a few of these mods...

I have already run thru two orders of 20 springs and pawls.

One of the things we all know is this. If the TGT 306 keeper is screwed down too tight the pawl will jam open. I have been using blue loctite for some time and will have the occasional reel come back to me. I find that the loctite was compromised by the solvents, oils etc used to clean and lube the reel.

IO have taken to "stake" the threads on the TGT 305 screws. I use this heavy pair of wire cutters and come about half way up the screw. Crimp down hard. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat. I do this to both screwes.

This has been working fine on my Toriums which I pull down regularly to check them. As well as customers..

Cor

I did a Torium TN30 today, all straightforward, everything fitted without any modifications.   Did not need a washer under the dog either.
Still wanted to test the AR bearing without the dog but it slipped my mind.  Next time.

Will go test the reel shortly.
Cornelis

handi2

If your wondering if the clutch bearing is slipping I can guarantee it is.

Every Shimano I have done, 100's, will have a beaten up dog. Most people don't know it's slipping because the ratchet catches so quickly.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Quote from: handi2 on January 25, 2017, 08:42:36 PM
If your wondering if the clutch bearing is slipping I can guarantee it is.

Every Shimano I have done, 100's, will have a beaten up dog. Most people don't know it's slipping because the ratchet catches so quickly.

Keith
Would not really surprise me at al, but now you will cause me to check every reel I service just to see for myself.   I grew up with reels without ARB's so I guess its not a serious issue.
Cornelis

Cor

Today I tested the drag on my oldest Tranx 500HG, the only work I've ever done on the drag stack was to grind the metal plates flat on 600 grit water paper.   I was pretty impressed, I got 23.62 lb (11kg) after turning the star very tight.   It is less then what Shimano rates the reel at 25lb, but I am happy with that result.

But look at the second picture, this was achieved without the AR dogs in place.   At that point the bearing gently started to slip, so perhaps with the dogs in place it will still go a bit higher.
Cornelis

Anglerboi

Just a general newbie question but would too much grease on the pinion gear affect the freespool? I just opened my my torium 16 did some quick cleaning and greased my main gears.  I noticed a bunch of grease building up on my pinion gear but just left it as is.  Also I am waiting for my spool pin tool to come in so that I can change out the bearings or Atleast try to clean them first.  But I was wondering any pros or cons with too much grease on the pinion gear and if I should open it back up and remove some. Thanks guys!

Cor

If the grease is restrited to the teeth of the gears it won't, but if it gets on to the inside of the pinion and spool shaft yes it would.   And you can presume it would get there if its excessive.

Question:-
Would you notice it though?
Cornelis