Vintage fishing rod rebuilders?

Started by aaronb, August 15, 2012, 03:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronb

I was thinking about getting an old rod rebuilt, so I can use it occasionally.  Is there any recommendations on someone who does that?  Any idea what it'd cost?  I live in Kansas, so I'd probably have to ship it somewhere.  Thanks.

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

aaronb

How hard is it?  I work on my own reels, but rod building seemed like it'd be difficult.

onemako

I can help you out with process if you need it just email me. Is the vintage rod fiberglass, graphite (prob not graphite if real old), steel, or bamboo. It is quite easy to do and I can tell you some simple books that goes through step by step, or I can tell you. Good luck

Steve-O

Your replies thus far have nailed it!

The mudhole link is what I use for rod building,repair,restoring. It may even help you to hit a yard sale or two and grab some cheapo rods to start with. Strip them to the blank and then go to town. My first rod build was a 4 wt. flyrod. Came out great! I have cut some one piece rods, installed ferrules an dmade them into travel rods. Fished those in Alasaka last summer. If I can do it, anyone can!  See the threads on them here.