Tatler (Grice and Young) - a quick look

Started by redsetta, January 15, 2012, 07:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

Hi Redsetta ive just found a Tatler supreme in my tackle room its not seen the light of day for years  it looks the same as yours in the third picture  (Black handle)  its in good working condition  ive never used it

Limey

QM Spares in Plymouth UK also stock Tatler spares. UK 01752 603001

Cheers

Limey

UKChris

Ah the Tatler. The V model, the widest of the range, was popular in the UK for sharking in the 60's and 70's because they held a bit more line than a Senator 6/0, almost as much as the 9/0, but were much, much cheaper over here than the Penn options. The narrower IV was felt to be a bit small.

Being lighter than the Senator, the Tatler V was also easier for beginners to manage.

I remember they were that dull brownish colour, and darker brown under the paint when it scraped off.

At some point, they had a re-vamp and developed black sideplates and chrome spacer bars.

Some were pretty knocked about by ham-fisted anglers on their first ever sharking trip (and often their last one too) but they seemed to shrug off the abuse.

Cor

Wow, brings back memories that one, looks like a
Tadler3?
In South Africa in the Yellowtail scene Penn 49, 49a and Tadlers were the only reels deemed strong enough for the job round 1940 up to about 1975, when the Tadler's started to fade quickly, with Penn following fairly soon thereafter.   They were heavy strong coarsely made reels and particularly favoured for Tuna from shore.   When I crank mine now it sounds like the spool grinds against the frame.
I still have a Tadler 4 that weighs 1151 grams,  (2 lb 8 ½ oz)  and that I used to flog the water with for hour after hour when I was in my early 20's!
It weighs much more then a modern rod and reel combined!
Cornelis

redsetta

Nice reel Cornelius.
Can't help but wonder how many modern combos will still be around in 40-50 years time  ;)
Funnily enough, I've also had a couple that had issues with spool rub.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

Hadnt seen this before; nice reels, folks!