Senator that never was

Started by Maxed Out, April 17, 2024, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 01:21:32 AMWhile it can be done, it's still just a big Jigmaster... and bigger isn't necessarily better!

Good point Mark, but the spool is only 1/8" larger diameter than jigmaster. The 66 main gear can also take a 5 stack, the seat has 3 screws on each side instead of 2, and 6 frame posts instead of 4. The lower gear ratio(2.5/1)gives it more torque than a 4/1 jigmaster. Like granny gear on a 5 speed manual tranny. Only similarity to a jigmaster 99 is the width
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

While 2.5:1 may be fine when you're bent over on a big fish, it's not so good when bringing up your rig to change the bait or make a move. There's a lot they did 60+ years ago that hasn't stood up to the changing times.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 01:21:32 AMWhile it can be done, it's still just a big Jigmaster... and bigger isn't necessarily better!

If I didn't have a 3/0 parts reel I wouldn't be doing this.

But I do so I am.

Should make a great shallow reel.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JasonGotaProblem

Just because it's unnecessary doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Story of my life.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Ron Jones

Quote from: MarkT on April 21, 2024, 03:17:43 AMWhile 2.5:1 may be fine when you're bent over on a big fish, it's not so good when bringing up your rig to change the bait or make a move. There's a lot they did 60+ years ago that hasn't stood up to the changing times.
You and I have had this conversation. Times haven't changed, marketing executives have found out new ways to convince you to spend money :)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ReelFishingProblems

Ted, I think this is gonna be one of my next projects. I love the looks of this. The proportions just fit aesthetically.

Gfish

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the old conventional's (Penn and Ocean City) geared at around 2.5:1, are in better operating condition than the higher geared reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!