khanh tran special penn senator 113h

Started by alantani, August 28, 2012, 04:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

khanh tran special penn senator 113h

many of you from the san francisco bay area know khanh tran and is 6-pack charter boat, the connie t.  i have been servicing his reel and was able to get to his albacore trolling reels before the start of the season.  check out the khanh tran special penn senator 113h.

the only obvious change is the handle.  i have a stainless steel handle arm patterned after the penn international 30 handle arm.  the grip i chose was the 6/0 kolekar grip.  there is a penn senator power handle in the photo for comparison.

there are changes inside the reel, as well.  this reel has a stainless steel gear sleeve (penn part #98-320AT) and a stainless dog from lee putnam in oregon http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3933.0 now, except for the main gear, the entire drive train is stainless steel.

even the senator gear sleeve can get worn down. 

this particular reel is headed out to malaysia.  dan, your reel is done!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Nice to hear that Dan uses the 113H on his charter boat, I'm sure he'll be very pleased with that reel. I'm not crazy about that graphite half frame though, an aluminum frame would be a good choice there. You know, i'm still waiting for you to carve the plate for the second dog Alan, that would make my day. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Danhans

received the reel today! first impression was "this reel is a badass!"
can't wait to take it on the water!! thanks a lot to Alan and Dan suitekids for the great reel..

Sal, i don't own a charter boat  ;D but i do look forward into an aluminium tiburon topless frame..
need to save some $$$ first.. ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Danhans on September 05, 2012, 08:34:31 AM

Sal, i don't own a charter boat  ;D but i do look forward into an aluminium tiburon topless frame..
need to save some $$$ first.. ;D
Gotcha Dan, I was reading it from the top and didn't realize  your name  at the end. You will enjoy that reel and should be fine with that frame. I was just trying to let others spend some money, so I wouldn't be the only one.... ;D.
  Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, the confusion is my fault.  khanh had four penn senators and i hotrodded them just like this.  he's been fishing with them for a couple of weeks already and has gotten alot of compliments on the reel.  this particular reel had the same upgrades, but was shipped to danial in malaysia.  i still can't believe it actually arrived so quickly.  i am thinking of putting together a "kit" with a stainless 4/0 gear sleeve, a drag washer for the underside of main gear, one of keta's dogs, and a stainless handle arm with a 6/0 grip.  it's an awesome reel!

saltydog

Well looks like I will be spending some money in the future on my 113H
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

Alan,
Do you have the stainless handle arm and 6/0 grips for 113H and 114H available for sale?  If so, how much?  I want one of each.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Hi George,

6/0 Kolekar Handles are $33 each.

4/0 SS arms are $15 each.

6/0 SS arms are not available.  Actually, the 6/0 arms are plenty strong and doesn't need an upgrade.  Just drill out original arm and install 6/0 handle.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

a 6/0 arm would be a good next project. 

Keta

Quote from: alantani on September 06, 2012, 06:56:11 PM
a 6/0 arm would be a good next project.  

;D

I have drawn up an arm for 349H/113H but not for the 114H....yet.  None have been cut so far.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

This is just for size. The two stock handles are for a 4/0 and 6/0:

George4741

Sal, thanks for the photo.  Now I have a better idea of how big some of those handles are.  Smoothdrag's, right?  Are the arms all from Penn?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Hello George, the arms are all custom ss, not Penn's...except for the white and red. Yes smoothdrag should have those "T" knobs.

Danhans

at first i wanted to get a 4/0 handle because i thought 6/0 is too big for my asian hand..  ;D
when i first saw it, the size really shocked me but once i put my hand around it, i can feel so much power..it is just incredible..
and the arm is a real beauty..the nut's lock looks very nice and expensive..

i'm not sure about the handle material but i don't think the kolekar handles can be as hot as aluminium if exposed under direct sun light right?
in tropical countries the weather is HOT all year round..we had like 2-3 weeks of rainy seasons a couple of times in a year but most of the time the weather is hot..i'll be using the reel for bottom fishing and under a hot sun, aluminium handles can heat up very quickly..you gonna have a really bad day if you're using full aluminium reel/handle without gloves.. ;D

Alto Mare

Yes Dan, that is a nice handle you have there, excellent craftmanship, you could also use any other handles .
You are using them on  a Senator afterall, all you need to do is to dunk the reel every now and then to cool it off ;). I'm sure it will still be smooth ;D