what's different about this picture?

Started by alantani, September 04, 2009, 07:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

guys, do you see it?

how about a close up picture?

well, this one has drag grease on it already, but that's not it.

yeah, there you go! there is no retaining ring.

i opened up this avet a couple of weeks ago and got a little surprise. the drag washer was glued in. there was no retaining ring. i had to order up some parts and i asked the lady at avet about the change. she told me they started gluing the drag washers to the spool about 6 months ago because of problems they've been seeing with salt deposits under the drag washer. i think she was probably referring to something like this....

and this....

a full coat of glue should eliminate the risk of salt growing under the drag washer. unless they miss a spot. then the drag washer may develop high spots from corrosion underneath. it would be the same problem that is seen with some of the badly corroded drag washers from the penn internationals. if this glued in avet drag washer becomes sticky and can't be cleaned, it will have to be shipped back to avet for a new drag washer. i did not ask about the cost of this service for reels that are out of warranty. old finnor reels also had a cork drag washer that was glued to the spool. i can imagine that it would have created problems if a finnor reel with a drag problem could ONLY be returned to the manufacturer for this service. i hope avet fares better with this decision.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

beachbob

avet is gluing the drag washer?  i don't like that. :(
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Panama

About 1 1/2 months ago, or so, I took one of my reels into service at avet and while discussing the many things they will do to my MXJ they told me that the drag washer needed to be glued on.  I thought nothing of it until now. I took another avet apart and that washer does have a ring and its not glued on....... They replaced many things (drag washer included) and returned all the parts they replaced.  Works like a dream.  I will take the service reel apart tomorrow and see if they greased the washer. 
The cost for an avet service (out of warranty) is only $35.  I think in the servicing they will replace anything need replacing.  Broken casing or damage spool may be another story!!!!!!

Anthony

Get on the water, Man!!!