Any Experience with Garmin GPSMap78sc or 62sc??

Started by Norcal Pescador, September 16, 2012, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

My brother-in-law is thinking about either of the above GPS units for marine/fishing use. Anybody have any knowledge to share about those models?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

CapeFish

I use the standard 62 for work in the bush. It works pretty well but recording waypoints and renaiming them is really a pain, it has an archaic data capturing system. Not sure how well it will work for marine work I have no experience with boats

Keta

We have a Garmin chart plotter on the charter boat and it works well for Captain Pex but we are sponsored by Garmin and they use the boat to test some of their newer electronics.  My current chart plotter is a early 90's Lowrance that I need to replace, not due to it not working I just feel safer with newer navigation electronics.  I'm looking at the 78 and feel they it is best for my application.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Rob:  I suscribe to consumer reports online service.  I could not get any information on those models.  By the way are these hand held models?  Is he near a West Marine store.  They have lots of systems hooked up in the store that he can test.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Thanks for the info, guys.  I had a Garmin gecko that was a pain to rename waypoints as well.
Dominick, yes they're handheld and he's not far from a West Marine store. I'll suggest that to him.
Rob

fisher480

I have the Map78 with a marine chart. Great unit. Garmin GPS's are bulletproof. I have owned quite a few Garmin units and they have been outstanding. The only decision is ergonomic. Keypad at the top for the 78 or at the bottom for the 62.

Norcal Pescador

Rob