Penn 220/230GTO stand screws upgrade

Started by Tile, September 20, 2012, 06:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The main fault of the GTO series is the tendency of the stand screws (part 32C-220)to loosen up and cause major damage to the frame assembly and consequently to the gear train and spool. The stand screws are replaceable with M3x10mm stainless steel screws and M3 stainless steel acorn nuts. I chose to cut 4 post screws (part 32B-220) down to 10mm.
1. The non-handle side and outer ring are removed from the frame and the non-handle stand screws are replaced with the longer ones
2. The geartrain and handle side assembly are removed from the frame and the handle side screws are replaced with the longer screws (I replaced the original handle side screws with larger headed ones)
All the screws are fitted into place and the stainless steel M3 acorn nuts are mounted and tightened (I used an old hemostat for the tightening)

In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Very good Tile.  I'd still be a little cautioned with the line, due to overruns, getting caught (looped) on the acorn nuts, but looks to be a great resolution to the problem with the reel seat plate securement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

The best thing to remedy the problem is to have a machine shop cut an aluminium  half frame to replace the reel seat and the rear frame post (a frame akin to the Tiburon P20 used for the Jigmaster 500L)

alantani

what you have looks much better, but if the line does get caught around the acorn nuts, you may have to change them out to hex nuts and cut the screws shorter.  i'll also bet a 5-40 screw would work better than the fine thread metrics. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

The beauty of this upgrade is the fact that no modifications are required to be done on the frame assembly parts and as you stated the stand screws can be shorter and regular stainless hex nuts can be used. My reel is used mainly for short distance casting and planted fishing for carp and wels catfish (in a similar manner to land based shark fishing).

Irish Jigger

Have you tried fitting the screws (round head) in the opposite direction with the nut inside the frame ?

Tile

The frame inner plastic rings don't allow me to put a nut on the inside and after many hours of thinking I came up with this solution.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

Thanks  :) . The reel frame feels much more solid after the upgrade and I am confident that the reel is up to the job for fighting a 2 m wels catfish (if I am lucky to catch one)

Irish Jigger

Alto Mare

Good thinking Tile, maybe these might help what you're trying to do :-\ :
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sex-bolts
They come in ss and different sizes.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

I like the naming of the bolts provided in your link  ;D .

Tile

The stand screws upgrade should be included as part of the pre-fishing service for any new 230 GTO.

Tile

After having several incidents where the line snagged the acorn nuts I decided to have a quick revisit to my 220GTO. I replaced the stand screws with longer ones that I had to customize a bit and the acorn nuts with regular ones and 2 sections of stainless steel tubing. This will prevent the line from snagging again and maintain the structural integrity of the frame assembly.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman