Tld 50 II

Started by Jaredbolen, September 21, 2012, 02:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaredbolen

Just got a great deal on a new tld50 2 speed. Didn't need it but I can never pass on a great deal on fishing equipment. First off... Anything I should do to "modify" it ie grease, or fish it straight out of the box?  Second... Line capacity says 440/80. I'm gonna be using this for wahoo fishing. Not necessarily high speed but cigar or planner. Any suggestions on what to fill my spool with would be appreciated. Thanks

alantani

sorry, jared.  this reel is the most problematic of all the tld's.  for it's size, it has the weakest frame.  there are some pretty awful looking photos of cracked frames here.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

For Hoo's you should be fine with that reel IMO as there is not any need for high drag pressures for the skins. Most of the blown up TLD's happened because people over fished the reel's with after market drag plates and higher drag pressures than the reel was designed for without upgrading the frame. I don't think Tiburon made a metal frame for the 50's but Will Fish did, if you ever want to add a better drag plate and fish higher drag pressures with that reel you should go with a metal frame. If not just stay in the drag range the reel was designed for and you should be fine. Alan did a very good post on the TLD 20/30II and the same could be done to the 50's.

Edit: Oh yes also when people used a harness on these reels with high drag pressures the frames would flex and crack or brake.

G6

Hi Jaredbolen

post a pic if you can

Jaredbolen

Well for the price(under 200$) I couldn't pass. It should be a good trolling reel. And I don't need a ton of drag. I'm still debating how to spool it. Straight mono? 300-500 yards spectra w top shot?  Any advice?

alantani

may as well go straight mono. 

SoCalAngler

For trolling straight mono should be fine. Trolling is more of a reaction bite so heavier mono will be fine as long as it does not slow the action of the trolling lures you use. People here in California use to use the reels on long range trips where spectra is a must while fishing from a stationary boat. As Alan said these reels had major failures when people fished high drag pressures for large sized tuna, so here of the left coast they went the way of the dodo for the most part. For the wahoo you should be fine just add some wire for a trolling harness and your golden. Just don't plan on using this reel for tuna over 150 lbs but if you do don't max the reels drag pressure and chase the fish if needed with the boat.

trentless

HELP NO FREE SPOOL
Just finished servicing my TLD 50 II LRS and don't have ANY freespool.  I always set cam to free on ALL conventional reels b4 servicing but am stumped and can't figure this out. Have tried over and over re-setting cam. My TLD 25 came out perfect with amazing freespool after similar service and reelX applied to bearings.

Anyone have this sort of "pilot error" or any advice??

Come in Alan, we have a problem!!

handi2

What did you do when servicing? Was it completely disassembled?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

If you took the spool shaft out of the spool and cleaned the bearings and such make sure your Belleville washers and other spacers on that end of the spool are in the correct order

alantani

yeah, just check it against the schematic......   :-\