Rod leashes

Started by Jaredbolen, September 22, 2012, 01:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaredbolen

Anyone make their own? Aside from tying my 500$ rod and reel to a cleat with the dock ropes. Maybe use some ss quick clips?  Any ideas or sites for some?

wallacewt

Jaredbolen

Man that's perfect. I have 2 sitting right here. Thanks

locknut

I make my own with 8mm rope, get the nice soft stuff thats easy on the hands and dosen't have any memory. Use s/s snaps. Make sure you make them pleny long so you are not tempted to unhook while fighting a fish. My gear never gets unhooked all day, a few words to the crew gets them out of that habit fast. You just need to lean how to splice which with a bit of practice is no trouble. These leashes will hold even if you go over board with the gear. At the end of the day they get a soak in a bucket with some bleach, they have been going for 10yrs so far. Have fun.

rodent

If you are going to put it on and off you may want to fabricate what the local ulua fishermen use. http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/UluaFishingGear.htm.  You just squeeze and place them in the harness lugs, you can get fancy and braid your line onto the clamp. Good luck

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2012, 06:09:56 AM
it's very easy to splice 3-strand nylon! 

Yup

I had a bunch of 1000 pound hollow Spectra from a failed project that made some good rod leashes.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Guys,

What are rod leashes used for?

Leo

Ron Jones

They are used to ensure your rod and reel don't go overboard. I'm used to seeing them connected to the rod holder.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Also use them surfcasting (soaking bait).

The leash is tied to a spike when fishing from the cliffs or rocky area.  If beach, tied to a bucket buried in the sand.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

QuoteIf beach, tied to a bucket buried in the sand.
Now that's a good idea.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on September 25, 2012, 01:02:31 AM
QuoteIf beach, tied to a bucket buried in the sand.
Now that's a good idea.
Cheers, Justin
X2, very good tip Bryan ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I wondered why I kept kicking buckets at Hau Bush! Kept on asking what on earth someone would go to all that effort for.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: rodent on September 22, 2012, 04:04:59 AM
If you are going to put it on and off you may want to fabricate what the local ulua fishermen use. http://www.tokunagastore.com/Menu/UluaFishingGear.htm.  You just squeeze and place them in the harness lugs, you can get fancy and braid your line onto the clamp. Good luck
The first time I saw these was fishing with Broadway Dom in NY.  They are efficient and easy too use. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

I think I understand its use now.  I take it that it's use is for shore-based fishing. At first it sounded like the straps that we (So Cal) use to wrap around the rail on the stern for our trolling rigs. BTW, why cant I just use one of these instead.

Leo