Rod leashes

Started by Jaredbolen, September 22, 2012, 01:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I bought those leashes from ebay... they're a great addition to the arsenal.  I wouldn't bother with any other leashes for my application again, they work perfectly. Here's the ebay link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-GAME-FISHING-REEL-CLIP-surf-penn-intl-Diawa-Okuma-Ulua-4-0-6-0-8-0-rod-pole-/300737494344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460559fd48

It says "safety clip only", but mine came with the same rope that is pictured... they may have just meant that the rod and reel don't come with it.
You won't be disappointed,
Dom

LTM

Dom,

The ebay listing states: 3/16" RUST PROOF STAINLESS STEEL.  Thats bomb-proof, how heavy are these rascals?

Brian, thanx for the bucket in the sand tip. Another great tip.

Leo

broadway

Put it this way, Leo.  Your lugs will pull out of the reel way before these clips give out... no kidding!
Dom

Jeri

Hi All,

The only change that we ever put into our rod leashes, was to weave a loop into one end of the leash, and a stainless steel carabine at the other end. We used 6mm oft nylon rope, with a breaking strain of about 1500lbs, and felt that anything that pulled that hard was unlikely.

We had it on one trip to Mozambique, fish struck an outrigger lure, the outtrigger clip jammed partially, and the rod jumped out of the rod holder, the leash saved a rod and reel on that day. The usual problem is while trolling, and the rough seas cause a slack in the line between the reel and the first roller - that line then jams around the handle - fish bites and the reel then can't release line - next 'bump' in the ocean, and the rod jumps out of the rod holder.