My Hot Rodded Penns

Started by VW, September 28, 2012, 06:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Beautiful reels. I have used the mags in both of the jigmaster reels I use. They work really well. As your thumb gets educated you can remove them. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

VW, you can be proud of your work. These are some great looking reels. I'm going to have to mag one of my reels. I'm not the best at casting a conventional.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

VW,
Sweet reels!... that are available for we patient few ;)
Did you use gel gloss on those plates, as Rob has recommended?
Do you use those and shine them every time you come back from a trip? If so, I finally found someone with worse OCD than me ;D
Thanks for showing,
Dom

wallacewt

oh my. i cant do that
they need to go in an art museum

VW

Quote from: broadway on May 07, 2013, 06:54:38 PM

Did you use gel gloss on those plates, as Rob has recommended?
Do you use those and shine them every time you come back from a trip? If so, I finally found someone with worse OCD than me ;D
Thanks for showing,
Dom

I do use Nu Finish on cleaned parts before assembly.  It helps.  I do not get to use them as often as many others here.  Yes, they get cleaned after a trip.  If I was able to use them more often they probably would not get the full treatment after every trip.

john2244

SNAPPERHEAD

Nice reels there. All classics!

SNAPPERHEAD

The Great Maudu

Quote from: VW on September 28, 2012, 08:51:00 AM
eta: I really thought the guys name was Gowge.  Turns out his name was George Pope and that was a nick name he went by.  He passed a few years ago.  A quick search turned up some tributes but none of the info I had seen before.      

I just cam across this old post an the reference to "Gowge" or George Pope in reference to magging Penn reels. He was a frequent contributor on the old Florida Surf Fishing board - a place where the gurus of the day gathered much like they do here on this board. Another pioneer on the magging field was a man named Earl Brinn. There were some really knowledgeable people posting back then. It's a shame that it's all lost now.

GWT#1

Beautiful reels
Would love to know what frames being used on senators besides the turbion frame??

Paul_A

Quote from: The Great Maudu on September 06, 2017, 05:23:45 AM
Quote from: VW on September 28, 2012, 08:51:00 AM
eta: I really thought the guys name was Gowge.  Turns out his name was George Pope and that was a nick name he went by.  He passed a few years ago.  A quick search turned up some tributes but none of the info I had seen before.      

I just cam across this old post an the reference to "Gowge" or George Pope in reference to magging Penn reels. He was a frequent contributor on the old Florida Surf Fishing board - a place where the gurus of the day gathered much like they do here on this board. Another pioneer on the magging field was a man named Earl Brinn. There were some really knowledgeable people posting back then. It's a shame that it's all lost now.

Gowge posted a lot on the old Florida Sportsman fishing forum as well.

One time he posted a complete pictorial of cast control magnet install on a Penn. And the FS forum lost all the old posts as well. Such a shame.