Diawa DF-100A

Started by Bill B, September 29, 2012, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle K

Looking at the parts diagram for the non "A" version, it really doesn't seem to have a drag washer.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_DF100.pdf

Bill B

Excessive play....is that the shaft rattling in the bearing or excessive play in the handle when turned?  Like the anti-reverse?  The loud clang should be the stop that trips the bail....not sure if you can fix that..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

The excessive play is in the rotor assembly (#11) it slides up and down the shaft a 16th of an inch or more. I think the loud clang on every rotation is the stud in the winder assembly (not seen on schematics) hitting the ramp on the body (#24) due to the excessive play causing misalignment. It doesn't seem to effect the function of the reel and only happens when it is spun fast. My gut tells me it won't happen when reeling something in. The other thing is that it doesn't have a bearing, more of a bushing in the body that was filthy. Also, the shaft sleeve retaining pin is not moving, at all. I removed the pinion retainer (#25) and pulled the rotor forward enough to clean everything up. With the drag washer in and greased, it has plenty of drag, and is about the perfect size for my rod. I'll fish it as is until it is time for braid and then I'll figure out how to totally tear it down and see if I can put in a bearing from the A model.

Thanks,
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Good luck brother....let us know how it works out...could be a great project from the depths of a connex.....Bill

gubahead

Hello my name is Chuck. Thank you for the tutorial on the Diawa DF/100 A. I have a question about upgrading the Drag washer. I've never worked on a reel before so I need to be very careful. Should a replacement drag washer, or any drag washer for that matter, be soaked in oil or greased before installing it? I'm a little nervous about removing the shaft sleeve retaining pin. But the shaft looks like it has plenty of grease on it where it goes into the bearing retaining plate. Did you hammer the pin out? also , the shaft has a washer that sits between the spool and the gear on the shaft that looked kind of funky when I took the spool of. do you recommend replacing it? (see Picture)Thank you.

Bill B

Chuck...the drag washer seems to be fine to me...this reel never seemed to be beefy enough to be pushed very hard...I never felt the need to replace it...the sleeve pin will push out with a small punch or nail...it only goes one way...if you have to force it push the other way....grease should be put everywhere on the drags.....hope this helps....if you have anymore questions please ask....Bill

Ron Jones

I have fished my Diawa DF-100 a lot over the last year or so. I put in a carbon fiber drag washer, it is a Penn HT-100 but I don't remember which one, with Shimano drag grease. I replaced the fiber washer you mentioned with a washer I cut from HT-100 with drag grease and I greased everything else with marine grease. This reel has held up really well, I fish it with 30 pound line and absolutely love wading into the surf with it, zero bearings to worry about. I may someday spring for one of Alan's handles but that is a bunch of coin for a reel like this.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

There is one bearing that if you dunk your reel in the surf and don't clean it properly will go bad on you. 30 # line and 10# of drag and you can't go wrong with this reel, I have caught many Blackfin tuna, Amberjack, sharks and catfish with mine. The biggest fish so far with it is a 120# Bull shark that fought for about 45 minutes.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

gubahead

Thanks guys. I have some more questions but I'm gonna wait till the replacement washers get here. Daiwa is sending replacements and I ordered some Penn HT-100 drag washers from eBay. I need to get this reel in top notch condition for my trip to Costa Rica. I got a date with some Rooster fish down there.

Ron Jones

Sorry, forgot the "A" has a bearing. The non A doesn't.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Irish Jigger

They're Chinese,not counterfeit  ;)

coralsea

Hello to all,
I am planning to buy that reel from Ebay and wonder if anyone solved a problem with the ugly noise????

Second question:
Does that reel have enough drag power to handle with the fish up to 18KG (39LB)?
Thanks.
no pain-no gain

ez2cdave

Here is an ADDITION to this thread . . .

I found another tutorial on a Polish website, where ADDITIONAL BEARINGS and other MODS were done to the DAIWA DF-100A GIANT.

Here is the LINK to the ORIGINAL article ( In Polish )

http://www.forumsumowe.pl/t-daiwa_df100a_giant_naga_sesja_modyfikacja.html

I used Google Translate to create the attached PDF of the tutorial for easy download . . .

Schematic & Specs also attached.

ENJOY !

Tight Lines !

Bill B

Would it be possible for a moderator to move this thread to the spinner section?  Bill