Diawa DF-100A

Started by Bill B, September 29, 2012, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Here's a partial tear down of Diawa's DF-100A.  This is a monster sized spinning reel at an affordable price...it won't compete with any of the Penn Spinners, but for casting lead a long distance it will do fine.  One thing I did find out is some of the screws are a little soft so make sure you have a tight fitting screwdriver when tearing it down.  Figured all my Penn's have their own tutorial so I figured I'd do the spinner.

The spool comes of in the usual manner, the drag washer was fiber and could use an upgrade.

Drift the shaft sleeve retaining pin out to the right, push it to the right only, the pin it spined on one side and will not go the other way

The bearing retaining plate comes off next, these screws were a little soft be careful

With the retaining plate off out comes the bearing, the brass shaft centering bushing, the brass spacer, and then the aluminum spacer

Next remove the three screws holding the side plate noting the bottom screw is longer than the other two, at least there was grease inside the gear housing, remove the last screw and remove the shaft retaining plate

The handle shaft pulls out, and remove the brass shaft bushing, the anti-reverse dog and anti-reverse selector come out, make not of the direction of the anti-reverse dog and the selector switch spring is tight in the hole, be carful you don't bend it

Here we are all torn down, except the bail mechanism

Everything goes back together in the reverse order with no surprises, but lots of grease

The shaft bearing was unsealed from the factory so it cleaned up real easy and was hand packed with grease, I'm more worried about corrosion than feather light spinning

All done and back together, no real surprises except the sleeve pin, which drives only one way, was kinda hard to hold the reel, drift and hammer...

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Very nice, yes we need to see those as well. By the way, is that banana flavored yogurt on that main gear? ;D
Thanks for sharing Bill.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Thanks for the tutorial,I've got one of those and have put some big fish on the beach with it.For the price they are a great workhorse but that bearing needs to be done after every trip.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

redsetta

Great stuff Bill.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

I'm a little confused (that's typical but I'm a little more confused than usual!), I've read that this reel has a multi disk drag stack, but I only see one in your tutorial. Are you missing some or is the internet lying to me again?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

No the photo is correct it has only one washer.The reel still gets up to 20# of drag but works better at 15#,I changed the washer that came stock with a carbon fiber one that I modified to fit so it is now much smother.
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Great, I'm interested because a fedex box will arrive at my door with one in a few days, I'm going to fish it on a 12 ft Penn torque, thinking 60 braid with 40 top shot. Do you remember what washer you used?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

It was a ht-100 006-115 drag washer and if I remember right it was almost a perfect fit.Hope it helps.
MacArthur

Bill B

It'll be a good match for the 12'...I've got mine on a 15' Okuma Tundra, good balance....just be careful when you tear it down, the screws were soft and buggered easily...also the shaft bearing is open from the factory and will allow lots of water and sand into the top of the reel...I fully recommend the banana flavored grease over the standard oil flavored ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

I will agree about the banana flavored being better but I recommend a banana cream it is much smoother.Yes the bering should be done after every trip.And those screws are very soft indeed.
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Well then, the screws will go to stainless and I'll baby the bearing. I'll pick up the washer before the reel gets here.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

Got mine last night, what a disaster. No drag washer and the bearing was full of gunk. Mine also had a small fiber washer on top of the click, and it has some ugly noises under the hood when spun fast. Can't complain for the price, I think I'll get an HT-100 to replace the fiber washer on top of the click. Anyone ever run without the click? I hate the noise and it would be nice to run a flat plate with a bigger washer.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

OK, so I finally noticed that mine is missing an A in the name. It is just slightly different. It had a spot for te drag washer and so I put it in and greased the drag top and bottom. The loud clang happens when the cross wind stud hits the plastic ramp in the frame. I think it has excessive play in the shaft and can't figure out the best way to remove it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

saltydog

Upload some pics and we'll see if we can help.
MacArthur

Kyle K

Counterfeit? Doesn't usually happen with low-priced stuff, but there seems to be an unusually high number of problems with this one.  If I may ask, where did you get it from?