Don't they make a nice noise!

Started by springwell, September 30, 2012, 11:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springwell

Well,

My Penn collection of conventionals is slowly building.

Out fishing last night, nothing much happening, so thought, what the heck, lets push the old Penn 155 as hard as I could.

I didn't care if I birdnested, (I didn't). Kept the thumb off until the last mini second.

Got a couple of casts spot on with a 4oz lead, the lead really flew and blasted away. Very satisfying watching the spool empty accompanied by that recognisable Penn sound. Have to say I was surprised with the distance I got, I've never really pushed the reel as hard.

I was brought up on reels with no brakes or mags and still love using them, and will continue to do so, despite geting some odd looks from those with their magged up braked multis.

Bill
There is a fine line between the angler and madness

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Yep!  Penn all the way.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

whalebreath

For a short while on the old Allcoast board there was a long time Penn engineer posting-his take on the particular philosophy behind the standard Penn designs was quite enlightening and simple enough so that someone like me could understand it-I wish he posted here.

So much fabulous info so little time.....

Bryan Young

If you can find the link, please feel free to post it on this site (the link that is).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

springwell

Yes,

Definitely old school.

My first multiplier was a bakelite Penn Seaboy.

I learnt to cast using old Mitchell 602P's and Intrepids before moving onto Abu, never been a coffee grinder (fixed spool) fan.

I've used and have higher tech reels, but I've gone full circle, back to my fishing roots using Penn conventionals, some old, some new. but not a mag or brake in sight!

I have a technical, engineering background and just love the simplicty of the Penn.

Bill
There is a fine line between the angler and madness