Tyrnos 20 - Drag curve

Started by Sailfisher, October 01, 2012, 07:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailfisher

Hi Alan,
I was wondering if you could help me??

I have a set of 4 Tyrnos 20's that I use for Sailfish and Black Marlin. I have used these reels trouble feel for a number of years now but after a number of stubborn I started to think about the drag cam / drag curve on these reels.

I fish 8kg line and set my strike drag at 3kg, however when the level is pushed up to sunset it increases dramaticly to over 8kg, resulting in bust off's.

I have spoken to a guy from Shimano here in Australia, asking about the Tiagra 16 drag cam - if it would fit into the Tyrnos 20. He said it wouldn't but there was a washer that could be removed (or turned around - I can't remember) however didn't say what part number it was.

After looking at the parts list I was thinking that he was talking about part #20 - Coned Disc Spring.

Your help / advise would be much appreciated - I am wanting to achieve 3kg at Strike Drag and around 4.5 - 5kg at Sunset (level all the way forward past the button)

Thanks
Sailfisher

alantani

here is the schematic for the tyrnos 20 two speed.  take a look at the coned washer #20.  i THINK it uses a heavy belleville washer.  i have a bunch that are thin.  they would definitely lighten up your drag curve!  measure yours and let's see if they match up.  i can ship them out.  i would normally throw them away. 

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/05TYR20-2Speed_v1_m56577569830615689.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sailfisher

Thanks Alan,
I'll measure them up and get back to you in the next few days.
Sailfisher

Sailfisher

Hi Alan,
I have measured them up - 14mm O.D. x 7mm I.D. x 0.9mm thickness. The only thing I now realise is that I did measure the height of the bow in them.
There is 4 of them all up. 2 side by side facing one way and 2 side by side facing the other way eg - (()). Do you think if I first tried running with 3 facing one way and one facing the other eg - ())), that would make any difference?
Thanks Sailfisher

Bryan Young

If you want to lighten your drag curve, orient those washers in ()(). I you went ())), it will ramp up faster but initially will be softer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the bellevilles i have are 7.22mm id x 13.89 od x 0.49 th x 0.86 ht.  i can send these out easily.  send a pm with your address.  first, though, reconfigure your bellevilles to a "()()" orientation and see if that helps. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sailfisher

Thanks guys
I'll try the ()() and let you know how it goes.
Sailfisher