Rod choices for Makaira 10

Started by Westii, October 01, 2012, 02:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westii

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on a rod choice for my Makaira 10II SEa.  I plan on using it mostly for GOM fishing including some tuna/offshore fishing, amberjack and other bottom fishing.  I have other setups for heavier bottom fishing, so that doesn't need to be the main driver of this decision. 

I have the reel filled with  65 lb spectra topped with 50 lb mono.  I really like the Makaira line of rods, but the model that I think would be most suitable for my needs maxes out at the 25-40# range (model C701H).  I also really like the Phenix hybrids, but don't like the cost nearly as much as the Makaira.  :-\  So, I'd really like some advice on these or other models you all would suggest for this type of fishing.  I'm willing to spend money for product performance, but if there are deals to be had for good performing rods, that would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

SoCalAngler

Yep Okuma does not seem to have a 50 lb rated rod your looking for. If you can check these out.

Composite Rods
Calstar, Graphiter GFGR 700MH for a 7' rod
Calstar, Graphiter GFGR 765L 6'5'
Seeker, Super Seeker SS 6470H again a 7' rod
Seeker, Super Seeker SS 6465XH 6.5'
Seeker, Black Steel G 6470H 7'

Glass Rods
Seeker, Black Classic SC 6465H 6.5'
Calstar, West Coast WC 865XH 6.6'
Calstar, West Coast WC 670H 7'

I fish a lot of glass rods because I like the feel and do to their cost, but at around 50 lb rated rods I look real hard at the composits because of their lesser weight. Also at around 50 lb test line I look hard at rods that are 6.5' because for me it usually means I'm fighing for bigger/hard charging fish where a shorter rod puts more leverage on my side.

Westii

Thanks, SCA.  I will take a closer look at these.  I have a Calstar WC970C that I really like, but as you noted, I'm looking for something thinner and lighter than a glass rod to pair with the Makaira.  I noticed that at least one of the suggested rods in your list is an all roller model (GFGR 765L).  I haven't been looking at all roller models as I've always associated those as more of a trolling rod.  Should I be considering rods with roller guides for the type of fishing I am planning on doing with the Makaira?

I appreciate your help.

Rick

SoCalAngler

Wow looks like I spelled Grafighter wrong. I'm about 98% sure the 765L comes with Fuji ringed guides. The 765XL comes with the Aftco Light Roller Guides and is more of a 40lb stick. The ALRG guides are good up to 40lb test IMO, after that I'd look for something beefier. Oh, you want something thinner as well? You may want to look at the Seeker Hercules line, something like a SHS 70M or 70H, but your going to pay. Also the Hercules rods a very parabolic bending through out most of the blank. I'm not sure where your located but a company called OC Rods makes nice rods and people that fish them like them. I have not fished them but have seen them and they do look like their built well and are priced good too.

Edit: I don't see a need for roller guides for the rod your looking for. I do have a rod with the ALRG guides a Calstar 800LX and use this rod for 15 lb test. The light guides work and feel great plus then you hook a line ripping fish the guides make a zzzzzzz sound which is kinda cool.

Westii

You were right.  I mistakenly looked at the GFTR 765L instead of GFGR 765L.  Thanks, again.

Westii

Does anyone have any experience with the Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid rods?  They aren't cheap, but these look like they might be just what I'm looking for.  

alantani

got several.  very nice rods!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

I was just trolling around in here and found this post.
Westii, I have a Makaira 20 on a Cedros Speed Jigging rod
CJ-C-601XH

If I go on a head boat I can't toss the iron as far as I can with my 8' rods, but if your on a smaller boat this rod is pretty impressive.
If you can get your hands on one at a local shop or boat show check it out. Very reasonably priced,you can bend it in half, and Okuma guarantees for LIFE.
( Okuma didn't have the Makaira Abalone out when I got my rod; I want to check them out at the shows.)

Westii

Thanks, Spes.  The Cedros rod is already on my buy list.  I also have a Cedros star drag reel that should be perfect for this rod too.  I wish Okuma offered some heavier versions of the Makaira live bait rods...

wallacewt

hi westi
this may not be for everyone, but i modified an ugly 24kg bluewater stik into a spiral rod for my makaira10 2 sp.

Westii

Hi Wallacewt,

Never used a spiral wrapped rod, but they intrigue me.  I'd like to try one someday.  I've heard many rave reviews about them, but would like to see for myself.