112H HOTROD

Started by saltydog, October 02, 2012, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I've been working on something, but I'm going in a different direction. No bearings on mine, just a brass insert on the stainless steel sleeve, the bridge post will be machined smooth, not notched as it is now and the gear sleeve will be held in place from the top, no more pin. Bearings are not a good idea there...this is just my opinion. A brass insert/bushing will do a much better job, especially when under load and it would be almost maintenance free. this new stainless steel gear sleeve with a brass insert will fit very snug, but will still spin very smoothly, definitely smoother than now.
Stainless steel bridge plate and stainless steel gear post are plenty strong, making those function as smooth as possible will help eliminate friction/flexing when under load. 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 11, 2014, 06:32:41 AM
I've been working on something, but I'm going in a different direction. No bearings on mine, just a brass insert on the stainless steel sleeve, the bridge post will be machined smooth, not notched as it is now and the gear sleeve will be held in place from the top, no more pin. Bearings are not a good idea there...this is just my opinion. A brass insert/bushing will do a much better job, especially when under load and it would be almost maintenance free. this new stainless steel gear sleeve with a brass insert will fit very snug, but will still spin very smoothly, definitely smoother than now.
Stainless steel bridge plate and stainless steel gear post are plenty strong, making those function as smooth as possible will help eliminate friction/flexing when under load. 

I can see one problem with using a bearing there, and that is the possibillity of getting some crud into the bearing. Otherwise, a bearing is just as stable and strong as a bushing.
You can find bearings with dustproof lips on one side. Using one of them solves the problem with crud in the bearing.

I can't see any problems with replacing the bearing with a brass insert as you suggests. The radial load isn't so great that it will destroy either a bearing or a bushing. The main job for such an arrangement is to eliminate the gear sleeve wobble under load. If you can eliminate this wobble, I can't see any reason for replacing the brass bridge with stainless steel.  There are no more wobling action to break the bridge post loose from the bridge. Using a stainless steel gear sleeve, stainless dogs, stainless gears in addition to this concept will make the reel almost bulletproof.
Add a one piece aluminium frame and 5+1 or hex drags and you can handle almost anything with it.

My lathe, drill press and most of my other tools are still at our old house about 260 miles from here, so my machining capabillities are a bit reduced at the moment.
It would be nice if anyone  made a kit to test this concept, either with a brass insert or a needle bearing.

steelfish

For some reason I like more the stance of the 3/0 than a jigmaster

In order to upgrade this reel a bit, does all the aftermarket SS parts for the jigmaster 500l fit this 112h reel?

@Salty dog, did you really fit 475 yds of 80# braid line on the 112h ?
Thats the same capacity of a  113h narrow kit or Baja Special..

This sounds like a nice project
I just found a 112h maroon plates a bit incomplete but with some TLC and few coins could be fishing again
The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on June 28, 2015, 07:56:55 AM
In order to upgrade this reel a bit, does all the aftermarket SS parts for the jigmaster 500l fit this 112h reel?

The 98-60AT SS gearsleeve does, SS 15-309 AR dogs are available but the Black Pearl Jigmaster double dog SS Bridge does not work in a 112H.   I have 2 112HN's I'd like to put BP SS double dog bridges in but as of now they are not made.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on June 28, 2015, 01:53:25 PM

The 98-60AT SS gearsleeve does, SS 15-309 AR dogs are available but the Black Pearl Jigmaster double dog SS Bridge does not work in a 112H.   I have 2 112HN's I'd like to put BP SS double dog bridges in but as of now they are not made.

thanks Keta, I might do the double dog in a Salty dog way, but surely go for SS sleeve and SS dogs, new carbontex or wait for the octagon drags and call it a day.

do you have pictures of your 112hn? I bet they look sweet

The Baja Guy

handi2

I built 2 of these for a customer with all the goodies. He uses them for jigging and bottom fishing for 2 years now without a problem. 

He was just in the other day and told me he caught a 120lb Shark on it by accident when fishing a local wreck.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Do you remember the gears you had in there?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 29, 2015, 12:17:30 AM
I built 2 of these for a customer with all the goodies. He uses them for jigging and bottom fishing for 2 years now without a problem. 

He was just in the other day and told me he caught a 120lb Shark on it by accident when fishing a local wreck.

wow.. thats pretty cool

I was reading about the upgrades for the jigmaster and how some of them fit the 112h, this is the first time I see a 112h and really like it, even better than the jigmaster

and talking about the jigmaster which is the casting brother of the senator family, had any of you tried the newell bearings that fit the 500L and 112h ?
Im wondering if they worth the try and make this little 112h a better casting reel, not the best on its class but better reel overall than factory, specially with the SS goodies

The Baja Guy

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 29, 2015, 12:20:12 AM
Do you remember the gears you had in there?

Hey Sal it was Alan Chui's gears.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

two questions:

- are the 500 and 112h right side bearings the same? I mean I can install the same bearing on any of those reels?
- I want to add a second dog into mine and really like what salty dog did and want to copycat the instalation, I have no reach to any hobby store or home depot or big brand of hardware store locally, any other source of thin brass sheets?

thanks
The Baja Guy

Cone

Quote from: Keta on June 28, 2015, 01:53:25 PM

I put one of the Pro Challenger bridges in mine. The upper bridge screws had to be welded and re tapped. I also had to remove one of the dogs from the bridge and install it by carving the sideplate. Probably too much trouble but I had to see if it could be made to work. If there is a will there is a way. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on March 18, 2016, 03:51:59 PM
     I put one of the Pro Challenger bridges in mine. The upper bridge screws had to be welded and re tapped. I also had to remove one of the dogs from the bridge and install it by carving the sideplate. Probably too much trouble but I had to see if it could be made to work. If there is a will there is a way. Bob

Yup! I agree.

Sal

Swami805

Just read thru this because I'm going to build my narrow 112H today. couple question:
1)  I'll be adding a 2nd dog and I have a dremel so I figure I can do that. Which dog is easiest to fit without filing? I have a bunch of donor reels,all different sizes to pick from. looking for simultanious. I'll have to use brass for now but my filing skills aren't the greatest either so as close as possible would be nice.
2)  Since the dogs aren't stainless should I stick to the stock gears? I have a PC 500hx kit but I know the bridge won't work. Should I hold off on the stainless until I can get ahold of some stainless dogs?
3)I have a few cheapo throw away razors for a spring, is that a big hassle or should I just scarf one out of a parts reel. And good way to use a coil spring out of a bic or something?
4)   I know it's an old post, any new techniques I should be aware of?
5) What happened to trond? I don't think they made a box big enough for him to think outside of.
Need a project to occupy my mind
Thanks in advance, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

vilters

i just put a 112h together yesterday. i didn't double dog it, but may do so in the future, so please post pics of yours. i just added stainless sleeve, dog, gears, and bryan's drag kit. i had some stainless dogs i got from keta that i thought were for a jigmaster, but werent, were actually 112h dogs. of course, when i went to do the final assy with all parts lubed/greased the dog spring went flying  :D. so i had some springs i saved from a broken automotive switch that i cut in half and stretched a little. much stronger/ more tension than the og spring. i have an extra dog and spring if it will help you. lmk.

Bill B

Filters, here's a link to my double dog on a 112h.......Bill

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22566.0
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!