Circle hooks- offset vs non offset

Started by rscotth, October 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

The only circle hook that does not destroy my confidence is the Gamakatsu octopus circle hook.  They are not as extreme as most.  Even normal octopus hooks are less likely to snag than J hooks.  Offset hooks are more prone to snag or spin and always look like they are going to bend and break.  Barbless hooks also destroy my confidence but a hook with the barb mashed down is acceptable and just as easy to remove.  I never strike to set a hook for fear of spooking the fish prematurely.  If I could get over all the mental hang-ups I'd probably catch more.
-steve

Normslanding

Every now and then reverting back to "J" hooks reminds me why the circles are my hooks of choice. When fishing bait for smaller fish the J's have it for me. A Octopus style hook is hard to beat for small fish. BUT I still do not set the hook, the small thin wire hooks set them self. Fishing Tuna, Grouper, etc. it's circles. Wide gap circles make it easier to get a bait, especially live bait on the hook with the least damage. The wide gap especially helps baiting with non kerbed hooks. Also on another note, a lot for my jigs now have non kerbed "J" hooks in lieu of trebles.

Rare

Quote from: oc1 on February 24, 2016, 09:28:24 AM
The only circle hook that does not destroy my confidence is the Gamakatsu octopus circle hook.

I enjoy them as well but unless they are 2x or 4x i stay away from non 2x etc as they break. I lost a few mutton on boat (8lb to 10lb) and almost lost a 29lb permit bridge fishing.

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on February 24, 2016, 09:28:24 AM
The only circle hook that does not destroy my confidence is the Gamakatsu octopus circle hook.  -steve
Those are the ones I like as well.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

I use the same hooks on my rigs (Gamakatsu octopus)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Just looking at the advertisments, it seems an "octopus hook" has the point curved in toward the shank but not necessarily with the upturned eye.  Not sure what the upturned eye is supposed to do.

I've been shopping hooks after snagging a 1/0 Gamakatsu octopus hook on something the other day and straightened it out while pulling on the 20 pound floro leader.  Maybe their 1/0 was not designed for use on a twenty pound leader, but I'd prefer the weakest link not be the hook.
-steve

mike1010

Quote from: oc1 on February 25, 2016, 09:10:24 AM
I've been shopping hooks after snagging a 1/0 Gamakatsu octopus hook on something the other day and straightened it out while pulling on the 20 pound floro leader.  Maybe their 1/0 was not designed for use on a twenty pound leader, but I'd prefer the weakest link not be the hook.
-steve

That's interesting.  I've seen quite a few Gamakatsus break.  (5/0, 6/0, 7/0 octopi and others)  Maybe they are trying to address the brittleness issue and went too far the other way.

Mike

Reel 224

Not that I fish big game, because I don't. But I do fish around rocky areas. In my experience I have never had a "g" hook break or bend. I use the turned up eye because I find them much neater to tie the snell knot to. I fish mainly Stripe Bass, Fluke, Black Fish and winter flounder. I don't fish exclusively with "G" hooks but when I make my own rigs I do.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Is 'G' hook the same as octopus Joe?

Mike, it was one of Gamakatsu's red hooks.  Don't know what the color means or if they are different from their blue or black nickel in that same size.  I tie jigs that are bumped over rocky bottom and the red paint chips off with the first use.  It is shiny metallic under the paint.

I've been using some Mustad J hooks and Gamakatsu live bait hooks until I find a stronger octopus/G hook in that size.  There is a difference in the how often they become snagged.

-steve

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on February 25, 2016, 09:10:24 AMNot sure what the upturned eye is supposed to do.

The upturned eye lets you Snell the hook with the line passing straight through the eye, which is stronger and allows a "straight-line pull" when setting the hook and fighting the fish.

Tight Lines !!!

Reel 224

Quote from: oc1 on February 25, 2016, 08:36:10 PM
Is 'G' hook the same as octopus Joe?

Mike, it was one of Gamakatsu's red hooks.  Don't know what the color means or if they are different from their blue or black nickel in that same size.  I tie jigs that are bumped over rocky bottom and the red paint chips off with the first use.  It is shiny metallic under the paint.

I've been using some Mustad J hooks and Gamakatsu live bait hooks until I find a stronger octopus/G hook in that size.  There is a difference in the how often they become snagged.

-steve

I'm sorry I just was lazy and instead of typing Gamakatsu I used "G" for the Gamakatsu hook. I use the turned up hook, I corrected this post because I didn't understand my own comment's.
Joe

broadway

I agree with both Mike and Dave on this...
QuoteThe upturned eye lets you Snell the hook with the line passing straight through the eye, which is stronger and allows a "straight-line pull" when setting the hook and fighting the fish.
This is the reason, and I snell (turned up eye) or palomar knot (straight shank) all my inshore hooks.
QuoteThat's interesting.  I've seen quite a few Gamakatsus break.  (5/0, 6/0, 7/0 octopi and others)  Maybe they are trying to address the brittleness issue and went too far the other way.
I still use Gama's, but they were brittle when I bought a case of them about 6 years ago. The reason I stick with the Gama's is because Daiichi, Mustad, and other thick shank hooks put too big of a whole in a stripers mouth for my liking (easier to spit hooks). On fluke I like 7/0 Owner shiner hooks or 5/0 Gama octopus (not circle) hooks and porgy, sea bass, and others I go with a thinner wired hook unless the sea bass are of the larger variety.
I've tried a large selection of inshore hooks and they all have advantages and disadvantages... so I'll stick with Gama until something else comes along that I consider better.
Thanks
Dom

oc1

The hook that snagged and bent was tossed so I took a pair of pliers to a new one to see if it bent or broke.  It's a smaller hook than you guys are using though (1/0).

Owner Gorilla Light 1/0 or Aki Twist 1/0 might be right for me.  
-steve

mike1010

Quote from: broadway on February 27, 2016, 08:42:03 AM
I agree with both Mike and Dave on this...
I still use Gama's, but they were brittle when I bought a case of them about 6 years ago. The reason I stick with the Gama's is because Daiichi, Mustad, and other thick shank hooks put too big of a whole in a stripers mouth for my liking (easier to spit hooks). On fluke I like 7/0 Owner shiner hooks or 5/0 Gama octopus (not circle) hooks and porgy, sea bass, and others I go with a thinner wired hook unless the sea bass are of the larger variety.
I've tried a large selection of inshore hooks and they all have advantages and disadvantages... so I'll stick with Gama until something else comes along that I consider better.
Thanks
Dom

I also still use the Gamas.  Similar thinking, and add the fact that they are as sharp or sharper than anything else, and available everywhere.

Mike