130vsx

Started by kamuwela, October 11, 2009, 08:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

took me longer to figure out how to post then it was to repair the reel lol. anyways ill share my experience. i serviced a 130 2 speed for a friend, after about 2 months he says the real is locked up. keep in mind this reel was serviced by a penn dealer last year.  the reel was mising the shifter spacer and had a ball bearing in the light shift spring  , i have no clue why.  worst thing is i never took the gears apart saw no need.  wish i did now, lol i looked and i guess i need glasses, i couldnt find why the gear would not return, anyways i was pulling my hair. the high gear would not return, thus locking up. i checked drive plates and they seemed slopy, but i felt is was somthing in the gears.  the main gear connecting plate came out  [ big threaded c clip] but  screws remained in place.  c clip hidden between gears. clip attaches gears together shift button pushes out high gear when shift button is released  high returns by being attached to main gear .one problem ill never forget, hope it helps someone before the lose half their hair like me. longs drugs here i come gotta buy extra strength rogaine.                       aloha,  kamu            honolulu

alantani

you really dug deep into this one!   i've never opened up a 130 before.  i check the schematics and found most of the parts you were talking about.  still not sure where the bearing was hidden.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/130vsx.pdf  i'd love to have you guys post some pictures!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

like i said i diddnt touch these gears, i saw no need. part number is 128c-130vs 128c in schematic  main gear connecting plate. my conclusion is that it vibrated loose i used blue lock tite when i put it back, it get's used about 15- 20 times a month. also found  screw on floating drag washer backed out. alan i read somewhere you were asking about blue grease and loose screws. imho i think screws on the spool should be locktited back, most look like they had been done from penn. im new to reel repair, got hooked by finding this site. im done with cars and bikes. so far ive done 12 tiagras and 1 80vsw 1 130 vsw and 5 130st  all for friends and from the heart . thanks alan. aloha                                    kamu honolulu

alantani

you know, this is the kind of thing that i really like to see.  i'm a pharmacist, not an engineer.  if i had my way, all of this work would be done at the factory.  i'm still going to stick with grease on the screws.  you just need to torque them down enough. 

is there any way that i can get you to start taking pictures?  there needs to be someone on the islands that can do this type of work and is willing to share his knowledge without seeking something in return.  there is a name for this in hawaiian, i just can remember what it is..........

kamuwela

im not an engineer either lol. im still debating the locktite i dont like loose screws but i hate removing broken screws too. alan the word you are looking for is kokua. i dont own a camera but id like to get one, like i said alan you got me hooked. dont know if i could make a good presentation with the camera like you do, but im always willing to try.                              aloha  kamu honolulu

kamuwela

Quote from: kamuwela on October 16, 2009, 08:31:54 AM
im not an engineer either lol. im still debating the locktite i dont like loose screws but i hate removing broken screws too. alan the word you are looking for is kokua. i dont own a camera but id like to get one, like i said alan you got me hooked. dont know if i could make a good presentation with the camera like you do, but im always willing to try.                              aloha  kamu honolulu
anybody from hawaii need help pm me here i check the site numerois times a day

alantani

i spoke to the guy that owns the local shop when i visited haleiwa.  he says that no one believes in greased carbon fiber drag washers.  i think that meant that he didn't believe either.  i'll bet if you started doing work like this, guys would eventually start beating a path to your door!  alan

kamuwela

Quote from: alantani on October 28, 2009, 04:16:28 AM
i spoke to the guy that owns the local shop when i visited haleiwa.  he says that no one believes in greased carbon fiber drag washers.  i think that meant that he didn't believe either.  i'll bet if you started doing work like this, guys would eventually start beating a path to your door!  alan
what a small world spoke to a guy there regarding some lures, come to find out his partner is family to my brother in law. shawn is mt brother in laws cousin. ill stop again and talk grease with him. i went through  all my tiagras used blue yamaha lube and cals grease on drags no problems. i recently did a set of penns for a friend who fishes commercially, greased his drags. dont ask dont tell he never noticed the drag, only the higher pressure lol  thanks alan

alantani

it's this guy.  can't remember his name.

here's the report.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=103.0