Main Menu

pfd's

Started by alantani, December 08, 2008, 06:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Dominick

Terrific.  That salmon is a beauty.  Is that from your report of overrunning the school?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Just ordered Class Ones for the Thorhammer which hopefully gets maiden fishing trip next month. All have reflective tape, strobes, whistle, vhf (per the Boss) and I will have EPIRB by then as well. Back up GPS and VHF are going on the boat, set up to plug directly to batteries or to the massive Dewalt jumpcharger I just got in case the three batteries (all new) crap the bed. ditch bag with first aid gear and epirb, tethers, and additional dry bag with water and rations. Three extinguishers, one in cabin and one in each seat caddy in helm area. First aid kit also in caddy for on-deck issues, separate from ditch bag.

My wife is a critical care flight nurse and frequently lifts personnel from military bases and other situations more nasty than a hangnail, you might say. My captain is a retired USCG Chief Bosun's mate who ran SAR for 25 years in the waters I fish, and 100 Ton licensed. So I do what they tell me.

My buddy and I ran into a situation two summers back where the weatherman missed the forecast by about six wave feet, and wind by 10 knots. We lost electronics 60 miles out and had a nice wet cruise home at 15 knots, going through inlet in the dark with no sounder (fortunately we could see land and rips) and home at 10pm, after we waited out the t-storms to get off the beach and head inland. We were safe enough in that particular boat, but we still suited up and kept in contact with CG the whole way.

John

David Hall

Quote from: thorhammer on April 18, 2019, 02:21:19 AM
Just ordered Class Ones for the Thorhammer which hopefully gets maiden fishing trip next month. All have reflective tape, strobes, whistle, vhf (per the Boss) and I will have EPIRB by then as well. Back up GPS and VHF are going on the boat, set up to plug directly to batteries or to the massive Dewalt jumpcharger I just got in case the three batteries (all new) crap the bed. ditch bag with first aid gear and epirb, tethers, and additional dry bag with water and rations. Three extinguishers, one in cabin and one in each seat caddy in helm area. First aid kit also in caddy for on-deck issues, separate from ditch bag.

My wife is a critical care flight nurse and frequently lifts personnel from military bases and other situations more nasty than a hangnail, you might say. My captain is a retired USCG Chief Bosun's mate who ran SAR for 25 years in the waters I fish, and 100 Ton licensed. So I do what they tell me

My buddy and I ran into a situation two summers back where the weatherman missed the forecast by about six wave feet, and wind by 10 knots. We lost electronics 60 miles out and had a nice wet cruise home at 15 knots, going through inlet in the dark with no sounder (fortunately we could see land and rips) and home at 10pm, after we waited out the t-storms to get off the beach and head inland. We were safe enough in that particular boat, but we still suited up and kept in contact with CG the whole way.

John
[/quo

John that's the kind of ride home we all prefer to avoid.  Sounds like you got the right people talking in your ear.

Gfish

Got a fishing style PFD( no tackle in the pockets, just safety stuff) and in it is a PLB with built in GPS & strobe light, a knife, and a waterproof cellphone/wallet holder.
How exactly would you use a hand-held VHF radio?, i.e., do you godda program channels into it? If so, which ones? Whom would you call first with the VHF? Would it contact the CG? Or is it for other vessels in the area?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

channel 16 is CG monitored. keep it on that.

Gobi King

Gregg,
Last December I had the same question,
I found this video to be very helpful.

I am assuming your handheld floats and is waterproof,

You broadcast a distress on channel  16,

My walleye club now requires all participants to have marine radio on board.

If you have GPS, you might also MMSI capability, if yes reg is and use that feature in case of emergency.

I need to do my registration, can't figure out what I will call my little boat for my call sign  :D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

joel8080

When you are under way you are supposed to monitor Ch 16 and render assistance if needed, also if you call the Coast Guard or sea tow or another Boat they will tell you what channel to go to that way if another emergency calls in CH 16 is free, but then you also get some who think that the VHF is there cell phone and that's against the law.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Gobi King

Quote from: joel8080 on April 18, 2019, 02:59:22 PM
When you are under way you are supposed to monitor Ch 16 and render assistance if needed, also if you call the Coast Guard or sea tow or another Boat they will tell you what channel to go to that way if another emergency calls in CH 16 is free, but then you also get some who think that the VHF is there cell phone and that's against the law.

joel8080

Joel,
When I checked the channel list, I saw some channels that could be used for "hailing" other boats, sorta like open channels. Is that not the case?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Ron Jones

It is the case. Channel 16 is the international hailing channel, but there are other local channels typically used for hailing. You used to be able to find that information in some Coast Pilots or NOTAMs, but not so much any more.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

Your right  Ron, but over 90% of the boaters use 16 , we all know about the secret channels that the commercial boats use but most of them are on Single side band radios.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

kmstorm64

The one thing I would point out now that I work on a Navy base and see the sailors running around in blue camouflage...if you don't want to be seen then wearing a dark colored PFD is the way to go.  I just hope the Mighty CG can find you, which is why in the world of Kayaks it is better to stick out then blend into your background.  Fall off of your boat who is going to see you at night in a dark PFD and your not with it enough to yell or blow the whistle?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

KaPoks are bright orange for a reason. When you need help, it is important to stick out like a sore thumb.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Back in my duck hunting days I had a camouflaged PFD vest so as to hide from the rescue squad  ;)  I don't know... it sounded like a good idea at the time.
-steve

kmstorm64

Quote from: Gfish on April 18, 2019, 07:28:11 AM
Got a fishing style PFD( no tackle in the pockets, just safety stuff) and in it is a PLB with built in GPS & strobe light, a knife, and a waterproof cellphone/wallet holder.
How exactly would you use a hand-held VHF radio?, i.e., do you godda program channels into it? If so, which ones? Whom would you call first with the VHF? Would it contact the CG? Or is it for other vessels in the area?

I use an old mil surp radio pouch, and have it fixed to the left side of PFD. I can squeeze the mike button aka PTT, without issue while it is in the case. As it has external MOLLE loops, I also have a small 3 inch knife in its sheath strapped to it as well.  Both are out of my way when I am paddling, and both are with me at all times, under the radio is a pocket I keep the marine whistle tied off to.  Opposite side pocket has a SS Gerber multitool. Works for me.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!