Stella 20000FA drag service. Please, help!

Started by Shaggywara, October 20, 2012, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggywara

Hi all,

Trying to service 20000FA spool, I have faced a problem that I can not get to upper drug washers. The access to upper drag washers is locked with a "C" lock (part #8361 n this schematics http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_stl_20000fa.pdf) and I can not figure out how I can remove it. This C lock acts like retainer spring.

It also looks like this C lock is blocked from top by a thing which is not specified in referred schematics. This "thing" looks like packer (liner) screwed firmly in the spool (if you remove the drag knob you will see it). This packer really looks like integral part of the spool, which is confirmed by the fact that this part is not specified in the schematics, but I do not see any other option to remove "C" lock unless I can unscrew this "packer like thing" somehow...

Has anybody serviced upper drag of 20000FA spool? Please, help!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

What you may try is a Dental type pick that are typically available at any hardware store. The way these clips come out is to pull towards the center and away from the tip you have the pick in to decrease the circumference. Sometimes you can get some small braid or mono through one of the holes too and pull it in a similar fashion depending on the C-Clip and the space around the holes.

best

Nessie Hunter

These should do the trick. 
Universal & open or close spring clips like that..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

He can't get at the inside circlip ("C" lock) because of the packer "thing" fitted to the spool and needs advice on how to remove it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Irish Jigger on October 20, 2012, 09:50:23 PM
He can't get at the inside circlip ("C" lock) because of the packer "thing" fitted to the spool and needs advice on how to remove it.

There can't be anything that blocks access to it completely. Perhaps there is enough of an overhang to stop access from the top, but you should be able to get at the tip of the C-Clip from the side as it is not a prefect circle.

@OP can you give us a picture? I have never heard of anyone having trouble like this before. The C-Clip fits into it's slot, but you should still be able to get to the tips with a pick.

On the bottom of course there is the Drag Cap which, if you want to keep the reel immaculate, you make a tool like the one in ichiban's post to remove it. If you are less fastidious you can simple use channel lock pliers. It's rarely on tight so it may not scratch when you do.

Shaggywara

Thank you, guys!

The circlip's tips are accessable. The problem is that if I squeeze the tips it does not come out. It looks like the C clip is bigger than the top opening and it won't get through even if I squeeze it at maximum. That's why I guessed that I need to remove "packer" thing first. But I think I did not do my best. I used regular thin pliers and may be this is the reason I failed. I'll try to get specialized circlip pliers similiar to that adviced by Nessie and use it for squeezing the C clip. I hope it will help.

As for Dental tooth pick, I started from it, but it is not strong enough to squeeze the clip tips.

Shaggywara

I could do the job with circlip pliers. Thank you for your help!

johndtuttle