Penn Spinfisher V 4500: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, October 23, 2012, 10:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Very nice, John! And thank you for showing me the line roller assembly, I think you are the first to actually show those parts. Was curious to how they solved that one, on a "splash proof" reel. Seems to me it's quite open, but then I guess they all are... :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: paal on November 08, 2012, 02:09:49 PM
Very nice, John! And thank you for showing me the line roller assembly, I think you are the first to actually show those parts. Was curious to how they solved that one, on a "splash proof" reel. Seems to me it's quite open, but then I guess they all are... :)

Even in an ideally "sealed" reel the line roller bearing itself is only sealed and Penn is touting the reel as more "splash proof" than other reels in it's class, which it certainly is. The bearing is sealed if that was not clear from the photos.

But overall, it's not perfectly sealed by any means, people will still need a Torque if they want a reel that is truly submersible.

The Pinion Bearing etc are totally exposed to Salt Water when the reel is underwater as well, so there are a number of things Penn would have to do to make the reel truly sealed.

best regards, John

paal

Yes, playing submarine with the reel requires a special design for sure :)  I think it looks like a solid piece of work, but as you say, only time will tell (and perhaps mr Hawk).
I really wish Penn success with this reel. I like their simple and effective engineering, I can do field repairs myself if a problem occurs.

johndtuttle

Quote from: paal on November 09, 2012, 02:58:36 PM
Yes, playing submarine with the reel requires a special design for sure :)  I think it looks like a solid piece of work, but as you say, only time will tell (and perhaps mr Hawk).
I really wish Penn success with this reel. I like their simple and effective engineering, I can do field repairs myself if a problem occurs.

I think over time with a few tweaks it will prove very successful. Regardless of people's prognostications that composite reels are the future this all metal reel will have it's aficionados as it should prove to be very rugged.

It casts very well, the handle pressure is not really noticeable after start up and the drag should be tremendous performer. It certainly would be my first choice for reliability in tough conditions at it's price point if I might choose others for a boat reel.

best

handi2

I just opened up a new unused Penn 8500 V and found that Penn had greased both sides of the bail arm mounts before assembly. That's mighty nice of them. As I worked the huge bail back and forth I has to continue to wipe the blue grease that was coming from in between the 2 sides where the bail wire is mounted.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cone

My son bought a 6500 ssv. I did a pre use service on it when it came in. It was well greased inside. I did clean the blue grease fom the spool and lubed the drags with Cal's. I think its a good value for the money. It really has a good drag system. The new ssv seems to be larger than the old 6500ss, I think its closer to a 7500ss in size. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on March 10, 2013, 06:45:10 PM
stickied!  sorry it took so long!   ;D

Thx Alan!

I put a little tutorial on "Alan Tani's Miracle Bearing Packer" in it just now.

best

johnD

John , I broke down and bought a 4500. That silicone gasket that fits under the spool on the slammer drag , is to small for it to be tucked in they way they had it..so I just took it off and flipped it upside down. we'll see how it works.

Thx for your work on this thread.

fisher480

I have the smaller one  the 3500 size and suspect they are the same except for the spool and rotor. Never the less I am extremely happy with mine. I have been using mine loaded with 20lb spectra and high speed spinning for spotty mackerel. I has coped a lot of salt spray and usage and I find it more powerful that my Shimano Stradic FI 5000 under the same duties. My wife loves the reel and I hardly get to fish it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: johnD on August 20, 2013, 09:16:11 PM
John , I broke down and bought a 4500. That silicone gasket that fits under the spool on the slammer drag , is to small for it to be tucked in they way they had it..so I just took it off and flipped it upside down. we'll see how it works.

Thx for your work on this thread.

If it's the wrong size Penn will send you one for free I'm sure. It sounds like the factory screwed up. Contact them on the Stripersonline.com Penn forum and they will send the right one out to you.

best

cmaraj1

jus bought a brand new spinfisherv 3500,  and sometimes the handle feels a tiny bit tuff to turn, but most times it just fine,  any ideas on what might be causing this???? i have let other on the pier try it and they also have noticed the problem.. any advice would be great

johndtuttle

Quote from: cmaraj1 on February 12, 2014, 02:09:34 AM
jus bought a brand new spinfisherv 3500,  and sometimes the handle feels a tiny bit tuff to turn, but most times it just fine,  any ideas on what might be causing this???? i have let other on the pier try it and they also have noticed the problem.. any advice would be great

The handle has a bit of "start up" friction to overcome the sealing between it's base and the body. If you unscrew the handle you will see the seal.

When you first move the handle it has to overcome this seal to get turning smoothly. Other reels have less of this but are exposed completely to salt intrusion at this point. If you don't need it (ie your reel doesn't get wet ever) you can remove it easily to make it more free spinning.

best

cmaraj1

i have a 3500v , its about three weeks old, never seen saltwater, and at times the retrieve feels tuff , not all the time though.
any advice on what this could be?

johndtuttle

Quote from: cmaraj1 on March 04, 2014, 02:19:07 AM
i have a 3500v , its about three weeks old, never seen saltwater, and at times the retrieve feels tuff , not all the time though.
any advice on what this could be?

Glad that penn is going to take a look at it for you.