stripped screw heads

Started by alantani, December 08, 2008, 08:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

QuoteI have another question for you.  On one of my reels, the sideplate screw head is stripped and I cannot remove it.  what is the best way to take it out, should I just drill it out, but then I could damage the threads of the reel right?  What do you think?  matt

yuck!!!!!!!!!   with a dremmel grinding bit, grind off the top of the head.  or, if you have a drill press, try to drill off the top of the head if you can get the drill bit to not walk all over the place.  remove the side plate and you will see the stud of the frozen screw stick up.  say three hail mary's.  now grab the stud firmly with vise grips and give it a slow steady twist.  if you are lucky, the screw will come out.  then call daiwa and ask them to send you a new screw.  if you are not lucky, the screw will snap off at the base and you are then seriously screwed.  and if you don't feel lucky at all, call daiwa and let them deal with it.  they should have greased these to begin with. 

if the screw is already broken off at the base, it's very difficult to drill and retap.  often you have a chrome over brass screw that is harder than the aluminum frame around it.  the drill bit never stays centered.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Walter_Lars on March 19, 2009, 06:23:46 AM
found this in a back section of another reel collector board

One way that works fo us to get those pesky screws to losen is, I use a lube called SUPER LUBE Syncopen synthetic penetrant Phone # (1-800-253-LUBE) or their web site (www.super-lube.com) first it only takes a wee bit to penetrate, then if the screw is still stuck I use a electric engraver tool and place a soft copper tube of 1/8th diamitor on the engraver shaft and pinch it on the shaft leaving a flat edge, next I place the Super Lube on and around the screw head, when its vibrated for apox 2 mins, I always turn the srew to tighten then turn it out , note as rust build up most likly has occured make certain the lube gets around and under the screw head! No heat or hard preasure is needed thus you most likly wont break the head off!

yeah, that should work fine for stainless steel screws.  the problem i've always had has been with the chrome over brass screws that penn uses.  they are pretty soft and can shear off before i've figured out what's going on.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!