Vintage 1970's South Bend Rod?

Started by FirePro911, November 29, 2012, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

I have been seaching all over the net on info for this rod. I have already restored the 1973 Abu Garcia 5000 that was on it complete with pictures as usual. Still working on drawing a new schematic for it off the old copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, complete with prices.

So now I have been trying to find any info on this rod and so far have come up blank. I see a ton of earlier two piece fly fishing South Bend rods out there though. I have also come across a ton of stuff on South bend lures and reels.

This one is a one piece, green and 7 foot. It has the model # 2103 - 7 on it and since it measures 7 foot, I assume that is what the 7 stands for. Since the reel is a 1973, I can only assume that the rod is 1970's maybe. Her father is confusing with his story as it does not match dates and whohe fished with way back then, which makes her sad.

It says South Bend

Then Sea Master with their logo to the left. Then 2103-7 and though the pic shows the 3 could be an 8. looking at it through the magnifying glass confirms a 3.

Eyes are all in good shape as well as the threading.

The reel seat

And the cork that was on it

Anyone have any info on it or some links that might help? Thanks and I will post up the newest restore soon.

dobrobill

I believe Gladding bought southbend in the early 70's. I remember I had a 8 foot green fresh water rod than I loved made by gladding southbend and I purchased it while at scott air base Il. 1971 or 72.  It was a spinning rod that felt like a fly rod and could cast a very long ways.