alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 15, 2019, 07:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)  (Read 40781 times)
ppvj64 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »

hi Bryan, nice job! but i have one question?? What size was that deep socket you used to pull the brass bearing retainer 9/32 deep 12 point? i need to do a tear apoart and repair of the same reel, but in a hotel room in S.C near fort jackson, for my oldest son who is coming up from Fla to meet us for my youngest sons graduation from Army Boot camp on 6/1/17! He says the reel makes a grinding sound that gets louder as he turns up the magnet level. I have experience with the older 525 mag, which has a bearing not shown on the diagrams from penn. It needed replacement and i measured it and got it from Boca, it was a small 3 by 12 MM. I believe it supported the pinion but i cant remember now, but Tony from penn did help me on it, say 3 years or so ago
I knew someone would ask an excellent question that I couldn't answer. I cannot recall. I'm sorry. I have not had a Squall in for service since I posted the tutorial. I suspect it was a 8 or 10 mm deep socket or standard equivalent.

Correction. One of the pics shows a 9/32" socket. It's a 6 point because that is all I have. A 12 point would work just as fine. The points are contacting the tube anyway. 12 point would probably be better.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:44:51 AM by Bryan Young » Logged

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
intili

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »

update to this post from a few years ago, the rell squall 12 had factory defective mag assembly, Penn replaced it with a new one, thanks to Tony Dubek!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: