Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)

Started by Bryan Young, December 05, 2012, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi Folks,

I'm working on the complete tutorial, but here is a preview...all pics, no descriptions.

Okay folks, how many of you have found the 6+1 bearings?  the spool bearing sare opened, clenaed, and lubed with TSI.  The AR bearing was lubed with TSI321 mixed with corrosionX.  All other bearings were packed with grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Nice job Bryan. I liked the pic with the framing square for scale. I'll have to remember that. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

George4741

Looking good Bryan.  I didn't realize how little mono this reel holds.  BTW I'm not going back to count the 6+1 bearings. ;D 
viurem lliures o morirem

Robert Janssen

Hmm, this reminds me...

The next time someone has one of these reels apart, would they please be so kind as to measure one of the drag washers very accurately?

I'd like to know the major diameters including wings AND excluding wings, as well as width of wing @ base.

buitrechico

One of the best reels for surfcasting (price-quality-performance).When will the complete tutorial be finished, Bryan?

Richard
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Bryan Young

I suspect during the holidays while I'm resting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Bryan,
What did you think of the yoke springs? I serviced a SQL 15 last week and found them a bit lacking. What I mean by this is after reinstalling everything after the service I noticed a little bit of gear noise, so I thought. After a closer look I noticed it was the yoke rubbing on the pinion gear, as the yoke was not pushed flush enough with the little tension offered by the springs. I expanded the springs a little and the yoke now sat flush and did not rub against the gear grooves on the pinion. Just woundered if you had the same?

Bryan Young

On the Squall 12 was just fine, but my personal feeling is that the yoke springs should have been a little taller so that it will have a more positive engagement when in gear.  I suppose I could have pulled them out a bit but when I got the reel back together, it worked just fine.

johndtuttle

glad to see you wearing gloves. much better for your health long term  :D.

surprised to see an instant ar in addition to dogs, i had thought they were dogged only.

scuttlebutt is that squall is currently best in class :)

Jimmer

I have been kind of an Okuma fan, but that looks like it doesn't even need a pre=service- are these American made?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Jimmer on December 27, 2012, 03:00:15 AM
I have been kind of an Okuma fan, but that looks like it doesn't even need a pre=service- are these American made?
Well since your an okuma fan it shouldnt matter lol but no they are not. Penns cut off point for USA made is around $250 which is the baja special
Grayson Lanier

SoCalAngler

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 27, 2012, 02:23:58 AM

surprised to see an instant ar in addition to dogs, i had thought they were dogged only.

ARB only, no dogs in the Sqaull's. My Fathom 25N has dual dogs as well as the ARB but the dogs will only come into play and activate if the ARB fails.

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 27, 2012, 06:44:47 PM

ARB only, no dogs in the Sqaull's. My Fathom 25N has dual dogs as well as the ARB but the dogs will only come into play and activate if the ARB fails.

Considering the Squall 12, being that it's designed for 12# mono or let's say 30# braided line, a good ARB should be fine and not go knuckle buster at drag ranges from 4# to 10#.  I can see why no dogs were implemented into the 12.  I haven't seen anything larger for comparison though.

johndtuttle

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 27, 2012, 06:44:47 PM

Oh my bad, I musta been hallucinating and thought I saw Amb. Style dogs, wrong again :).

basto

Excellent distance casting surf reel, but I have read more than once that it is not as desireable as the USA made 525 Mag that preceeded it.
My first impression of mine is how extremely light it is. Love that drag.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n