alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 15, 2019, 05:04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)  (Read 39860 times)
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« on: December 05, 2012, 01:24:01 AM »

Hi Folks,

I'm working on the complete tutorial, but here is a preview...all pics, no descriptions.

Okay folks, how many of you have found the 6+1 bearings?  the spool bearing sare opened, clenaed, and lubed with TSI.  The AR bearing was lubed with TSI321 mixed with corrosionX.  All other bearings were packed with grease.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Cone
Firearms Group

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

Nice job Bryan. I liked the pic with the framing square for scale. I'll have to remember that. Bob

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD
George4741
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »

Looking good Bryan.  I didn't realize how little mono this reel holds.  BTW I'm not going back to count the 6+1 bearings. Grin 

viurem lliures o morirem
Robert Janssen
Sensei

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »

Hmm, this reminds me...

The next time someone has one of these reels apart, would they please be so kind as to measure one of the drag washers very accurately?

I'd like to know the major diameters including wings AND excluding wings, as well as width of wing @ base.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:13:44 AM by Robert Janssen » Logged
buitrechico

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »

One of the best reels for surfcasting (price-quality-performance).When will the complete tutorial be finished, Bryan?

Richard
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:07:57 PM by buitrechico » Logged

Ricardo Dell´Aquila
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »

I suspect during the holidays while I'm resting.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »

Bryan,
What did you think of the yoke springs? I serviced a SQL 15 last week and found them a bit lacking. What I mean by this is after reinstalling everything after the service I noticed a little bit of gear noise, so I thought. After a closer look I noticed it was the yoke rubbing on the pinion gear, as the yoke was not pushed flush enough with the little tension offered by the springs. I expanded the springs a little and the yoke now sat flush and did not rub against the gear grooves on the pinion. Just woundered if you had the same?
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

On the Squall 12 was just fine, but my personal feeling is that the yoke springs should have been a little taller so that it will have a more positive engagement when in gear.  I suppose I could have pulled them out a bit but when I got the reel back together, it worked just fine.

johndtuttle
Sensei

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »

glad to see you wearing gloves. much better for your health long term  Cheesy.

surprised to see an instant ar in addition to dogs, i had thought they were dogged only.

scuttlebutt is that squall is currently best in class Smiley
Jimmer

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »

I have been kind of an Okuma fan, but that looks like it doesn't even need a pre=service- are these American made?

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann
Bunnlevel Sharker
Firearms Group

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »

I have been kind of an Okuma fan, but that looks like it doesn't even need a pre=service- are these American made?
Well since your an okuma fan it shouldnt matter lol but no they are not. Penns cut off point for USA made is around $250 which is the baja special

Grayson Lanier
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

surprised to see an instant ar in addition to dogs, i had thought they were dogged only.

ARB only, no dogs in the Sqaull's. My Fathom 25N has dual dogs as well as the ARB but the dogs will only come into play and activate if the ARB fails.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »

ARB only, no dogs in the Sqaull's. My Fathom 25N has dual dogs as well as the ARB but the dogs will only come into play and activate if the ARB fails.

Considering the Squall 12, being that it's designed for 12# mono or let's say 30# braided line, a good ARB should be fine and not go knuckle buster at drag ranges from 4# to 10#.  I can see why no dogs were implemented into the 12.  I haven't seen anything larger for comparison though.

johndtuttle
Sensei

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

Oh my bad, I musta been hallucinating and thought I saw Amb. Style dogs, wrong again Smiley.
basto

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 11:30:48 PM »

Excellent distance casting surf reel, but I have read more than once that it is not as desireable as the USA made 525 Mag that preceeded it.
My first impression of mine is how extremely light it is. Love that drag.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:18:29 PM by basto » Logged

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Triton Mark 3S
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: