Penn Squall 12 (SQL 12)

Started by Bryan Young, December 05, 2012, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonrokoy

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the pictorial. Just one question pls - how were you able to remove that left side bushing (key 40) from the sideplate? I've just serviced my 15 but could not remove that thing. Thanks.

Bryan Young

Quote from: zonrokoy on March 12, 2014, 11:20:56 PM
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the pictorial. Just one question pls - how were you able to remove that left side bushing (key 40) from the sideplate? I've just serviced my 15 but could not remove that thing. Thanks.

Yes

I used a small deep socket to put over the bushing then tilted the bushing back and forth until it worked it's way out.  That's why there's grease marks on the top of the bushing...from the socket.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

zonrokoy

Ok will try that. Thanks for your help.

Bryan Young

The pictures will come back sometime.  Let me see if I can find the pics so I can move them here.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I've done the Penn Squall. They are neat little reels.  I would consider this reel a great replacement for a Newell 200 series.  Send me a PM when you have the time.

Bryan Young

Ok, something is going on with PhotoBucket.  Will see what I can do to get this fixed.

pompano joe

These are perfect for Surf Casting here on the Gulf Coast, IMHO.  I've used them and sold over 1/2 dozen without any problems.  Great free spool, strong drag, and the mag system is more than sufficient for anything we throw around here.  Also loved the 525s, and the Okuma 230 Convector was another great reel in this same size and theme.
Pompano Joe

Vjtrey1

Can i use this tut for penn squall 15 star drag right?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Vjtrey1 on August 22, 2016, 09:42:05 PM

Yes, same reel, just a little different size (wider).

Vjtrey1

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 22, 2016, 09:56:53 PM
Quote from: Vjtrey1 on August 22, 2016, 09:42:05 PM

Yes, same reel, just a little different size (wider).
thank you so much!

intili

hi Bryan, nice job! but i have one question?? What size was that deep socket you used to pull the brass bearing retainer 9/32 deep 12 point? i need to do a tear apoart and repair of the same reel, but in a hotel room in S.C near fort jackson, for my oldest son who is coming up from Fla to meet us for my youngest sons graduation from Army Boot camp on 6/1/17! He says the reel makes a grinding sound that gets louder as he turns up the magnet level. I have experience with the older 525 mag, which has a bearing not shown on the diagrams from penn. It needed replacement and i measured it and got it from Boca, it was a small 3 by 12 MM. I believe it supported the pinion but i cant remember now, but Tony from penn did help me on it, say 3 years or so ago

Bryan Young

Quote from: intili on April 18, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
hi Bryan, nice job! but i have one question?? What size was that deep socket you used to pull the brass bearing retainer 9/32 deep 12 point? i need to do a tear apoart and repair of the same reel, but in a hotel room in S.C near fort jackson, for my oldest son who is coming up from Fla to meet us for my youngest sons graduation from Army Boot camp on 6/1/17! He says the reel makes a grinding sound that gets louder as he turns up the magnet level. I have experience with the older 525 mag, which has a bearing not shown on the diagrams from penn. It needed replacement and i measured it and got it from Boca, it was a small 3 by 12 MM. I believe it supported the pinion but i cant remember now, but Tony from penn did help me on it, say 3 years or so ago
I knew someone would ask an excellent question that I couldn't answer. I cannot recall. I'm sorry. I have not had a Squall in for service since I posted the tutorial. I suspect it was a 8 or 10 mm deep socket or standard equivalent.

Correction. One of the pics shows a 9/32" socket. It's a 6 point because that is all I have. A 12 point would work just as fine. The points are contacting the tube anyway. 12 point would probably be better.

intili

update to this post from a few years ago, the rell squall 12 had factory defective mag assembly, Penn replaced it with a new one, thanks to Tony Dubek!

jzumi

Serviced my Squall 12 and now it sometimes acts funny.  After paying out some line, when you throw it back into gear, it stays in freespool.  You end up turning the handle and then it engages.  Only happens once in a while; most of the time it engages normally.

Is this a symptom of the weak yoke springs?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

John