Jigmaster 500 joins the double-dog family (from Irish Jigger)

Started by redsetta, December 09, 2012, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Yes, but when you bite down on a rock in the bass it HURTS!! ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

targetdrone

I double-dogged my 501. I did it differently than what I've seen posted so far.  I started with a 5/8 ss washer .080 thick. My drill bits wouldn't touch it so I put a carbide bit in the dremel tool.

I used a piece of .032 music wire for the spring. It sits in a groove in the back of the dog to keep it in place.

I used a carbide end mill in the dremel to cut away the side plate.

I am going out on a 3/4 day boat in San Diego on the 7th of Sept and will report back with how it went.

bajaandy

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 11, 2013, 05:50:28 PM
I finally decided to give Tom's (Irish Jigger) brilliant idea a shot. You have set the bar high on this one my friend ;)
Not as easy as you made it look, but I was able to get it done.
If I can do it, so can anyone else, so get cranking. ;D
Thanks again Tom, this one is one of my favorite.

Sal

Sal (and/or Tom), I have a question: Since you had to shorten the dog in the factory location, did that effect the spring throw? Did you have to use a longer spring? Or are your custom dogs made with an offset spring tab to make up for the difference? Or am I splitting hairs and it does not really matter?
I tink, therefore I am.

bajaandy

Targetdrone, that's a cool solution! Can you tell us how you trapped the spring wire in the pin?
I tink, therefore I am.

targetdrone

5/32 brass rod chucked into a drill and turned down using a dremel with a sanding drum attached. Then I slotted the end with a cutting wheel in the dremel and peened the brass after squeezing it with a visegrip.  The wire seems a little stiffer than the stock spring.  My few attempts at winding my own spring from the .009 and .014 music wire on hand left me unsatisfied.  The wire I ended up using was from a Guillows Skeeter windup airplane's landing gear.  It's not stainless, but I will keep it greased and check it after my trip.  At least on the jigmaster it's easy to get to.

targetdrone

If I were to do it over I would make the spring mount either square or oval to make sure it will never rotate in the bridge.

bajaandy

Well, the project is almost complete. I've got this Jigmaster that I added Accurate plates and a frame too a few years ago. At the time I did the upgrade to the SS Newel 5:1 gears, SS yoke, smooth drags, but never did the SS gear sleeve and dog. I've fished it hard for the past 7 years with little maintenance, so I decided I'd double dog it and add the SS gear sleeve as well. The 4/0 thread got me thinking about doing the TANK conversion to my 113H, but I figured I'd start with an old friend first.

Things did not look too good inside! Can you say corrosion?

But my old friend cleaned up nicely. Here she is with the stud for the second dog already installed.

Here I was fitting the dogs to engage simultaneously. Note the layout for the spring retaining pin also.

The back side of the peened brass pin on the left.

I decided I wanted a little more security on the dog springs, so I drilled the new SS dogs with a 3/64" bit and pressed in a bit of SS welding wire.

Tomorrow I head over to Ken's Custom Reel to pick up a couple of new dog springs and then I can put this baby back together. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also picked up a set of Bryan's 5+1 drags. Can't wait to get out there and get after some Yellowtail and Tuna!
Many thanks to all the inspiration you all have provided in going after this project! It's almost as fun as fishing!
I tink, therefore I am.

bajaandy

I am happy to report that operation JigMonster Dual Dog was a complete and total success. (That is, after I realized I'd put the yoke back in upside down. It is decidedly harder to engage and disengage with the sharp edges facing the eccentric jack!)
Here she is all put back together and ready to assemble.

And here's my baby ready to go.

And maybe it's just me, but I sure love that sexy Newel gear set growl she has. Sounds good with that decisive dual dog CLICK she has too.
And Bryan's 5+1 drag set is Uber Smooth!
Man I can't wait to get out there and fish this thing again!
Now that's I've done the dual dog setup, I think I'm ready to tackle the 113H TANK conversion. Just need to start getting my parts in order.
I tink, therefore I am.

Alto Mare

Very nice job Andy, thanks for showing us different options. I do like the last much better.
Nice and clean work, way to go ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bajaandy

Thanks for your kind words Sal. It's only because of this board and people such as yourself that I even made the attempt! I do have a question for you; In one of your TANK threads, you used a Tib frame that didn't need the inner rings from the Senator. Is that a specialty frame? I'm planning to do the Yellowtail special with my 113HLW and would love to use that type of frame. I didn't see those listed on the Tiburon website.
I tink, therefore I am.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BonitaBch

Quote from: bajaandy on August 24, 2013, 01:45:27 AM
so I decided I'd double dog it and add the SS gear sleeve as well.

Nice-looking job.  What did you use for the post on the second dog?
Bonita Beach, FL