Jigmaster 500 joins the double-dog family (from Irish Jigger)

Started by redsetta, December 09, 2012, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Great job Andy - thanks for sharing!
Good luck out on the water.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bajaandy

Quote from: BonitaBch on October 28, 2013, 02:49:41 PM
Quote from: bajaandy on August 24, 2013, 01:45:27 AM
so I decided I'd double dog it and add the SS gear sleeve as well.

Nice-looking job.  What did you use for the post on the second dog?

I chucked a brass wood screw in the drill and ran it against the belt sander to get it down close to diameter, then used a hand file to turn it just a tad larger than the hole. I pressed it in and then peened the back side to lock it.
I tink, therefore I am.

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

Rancanfish

I'm digging up gold here!

I was wondering how do you guys support the bridge or retain the new post when peening it?  It seems it would push through. And if I put something against the other end, won't it peen over the other end?

I'll find an old sideplate I don't care about to try my hand at Dremel work.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mhc

Sorry for the late reply Rancanfish, I just saw this. With the few posts I have installed, I drill a hole near the corner of a piece of flat steel plate, the same diameter of the post and slightly deeper than the post height to support the post and stop it from deforming. Tap the tight fitting post into place on the bridge then put the post in the hole and, with the bridge held flat on the steel plate, peen the back of the post. The end/top of the post gets beveled slightly in the base of the hole and can be flattened with a file. I use the corner of the piece of plate to help get access to the dog post and/or spring post locations. Sorry I don't have any photos to show how I have done it - next time.

P.S. I got the idea from this thread as well 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Hoochrip

Where did you get the post for the spring to double dog the jigmaster and has anyone tried to do a penn 505.