Jigmaster 500 joins the double-dog family (from Irish Jigger)

Started by redsetta, December 09, 2012, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Excelent Tom!!! :o very clever and well thought out work.Dual mode is very interesting.Thanks for sharing your abilities.

Richard
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Keta

The pivot hole can be cut, drilled or reamed to fit a standard shaft size if that helps.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Just noticed this on ebay. It looks like this part has dog holes for both RH and LH reels. Would make conversion to double dogs quite easy.
although a new spring pin location would be required and as Lee has just stated this is a a simple procedure as this pin is 3/32 in dia.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penn-505HS-506HS-Jigmaster-reel-BRIDGE-WITH-SLEEVE-Part-3-505-NOS-New-USA-/121037225327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e6

I think I have 3/32" brazing rod that the flux is falling off if anyone needs some pin material.

Alto Mare

Yes the 505 comes dilled for right or left. The 3-505 will not work with the 500 plate and vice versa.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spottybastard

I have a feeling this has been asked before, anyway here goes...

What is the advantage to upgrading a reel to double dogs? ???

Irish Jigger

In my case I wanted to reduce the backlash when using a larger/heavier handle (24-56) on a Jigmaster.
With the dogs in alternating mode backlash is reduced by 50%.

For heavier applications, double dogs in dual mode are preferred as they help share the load which is normally taken  by a single dog.

Most high end reels now have multiple dogs fitted.

Alto Mare

Alternating dogs should also extend the life of the dogs by 50%, a win-win situation.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

buitrechico

Ciao Sal,how ya doin'? would you explain the reason why alternating dogs should also extend the life of the dogs?.I think you're right ,but only  the part of the dog that face the gear sleeve tooth when it clicks and avoids the reverse movement(when one dog is on the other is out).But the sliding wear of both dogs are the same.What about the wear of the gear sleeve teeth? Two dogs may produce a doble wear of the teeth.Am I wrong?

Ci sentiamo,

Riccardo
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Alto Mare

Salve Riccardo.
On the alternating dogs, only one dog engages at a time. With every click of the sleeve the opposite dog will engage, this is how I came up with 50%. You're right about both having the sliding wear, but I believe that's minimal
If you go with Alan's sleeve and Lee's dogs, you won't need to worry about  any wear.
Buon Natale, paesa'
Sal

Ron Jones

Spotty or anyone else who may not know,
In most star drag reels, the dog (or AR bearing) is the part of the reel that takes the pressure of the fish. A fish pulls on the spool which works through the pinion and main gear to put pressure on the drag disks which transfer energy to the gear sleeve. The gear sleeve needs something to prevent it from spinning backwards and letting line out with no drag, that something is the dog. The gear sleeve has a ratchet on the bottom that the dog works against in a similar manner to a pawl in a ratchet wrench. The dog is what allows the fish to put pressure against the drag disks and make them work.

Alternating dogs have been covered, but a little more can be said about double dogs. When a reel with a single dog has pressure put against it, the single point of pressure at the dog will cause the gear sleeve to tilt. If enough pressure is applied this tilting can allow the main gear to rub against the side plate and cause damage and causes friction on the bridge post. Adding a second dog reduces this tendency to tilt, reducing wear and friction. The closer to 180 degrees the dogs are opposed the better the reduction in wear and friction. It is conceivable that in a  reel with a big drag and a small sleeve post, such as a Penn 60, the friction may turn to binding and eventual failure, which is why I think double simultaneous dogging little reels is just as important as double dogging big reels, especially if the dogs are 180 degrees apart.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Ron, I don't believe that there is anyone here that doesn't understand how these reels work, it's a pretty simple concept.
I do agree with you about keeping everything square with the double dogs when reel is under pressure.  I also mentioned this over by the "113H Reel Tank" about 3 months ago, on page #25.
Sal

Irish Jigger

Ron,you make a very good point re positioning the dogs 180 degrees apart. This is indeed the ideal position for simultaneous dogging and should be considered when upgrading our reels. Unfortunately the Penn design prevents this spacing and we shall have to settle for something less than perfect until a better solution comes along.

spottybastard

Gentleman that you for enlightening this ignorant man.  Now, I think since rockfish season is about to close, I have my winter gear project for myself!

Thanks!

fshncrazy

Quote from: Irish Jigger on December 12, 2012, 07:44:27 PM
Just noticed this on ebay. It looks like this part has dog holes for both RH and LH reels. Would make conversion to double dogs quite easy.
although a new spring pin location would be required and as Lee has just stated this is a a simple procedure as this pin is 3/32 in dia.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penn-505HS-506HS-Jigmaster-reel-BRIDGE-WITH-SLEEVE-Part-3-505-NOS-New-USA-/121037225327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e6

I think I have 3/32" brazing rod that the flux is falling off if anyone needs some pin material.

In reading this thread, I might try this out as a project.  I noticed my progear bridge has extra holes already in it.  Hmmm.  I'm gonna give this a try.

SNAPPERHEAD

Very nice! With the Stainless Sleeve and dogs that anti reverse will be indestructable.

Thank you for posting, I might consider trying to double dog my Jigmaster soon.

SNAPPERHEAD