Okuma Tormenta - 2012-12-13

Started by Bryan Young, December 13, 2012, 08:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

nice!  when did you find time to do this?   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

The drags were replaced with ones from Okuma and the under the gear was the HT-100s used in Penn's spinning reels.  The drags are now smooth.  There were sticky when received.  You can order thd main gear drag washer from Okuma.  The  part number is noted in the photo on the yellow paper.

I also replaced the two outer spool bearings, both which are in the left and right side plates.  I'll post the sizes of these bearings shortly.  My freespool went from 2 seconds to 6 seconds
with the magnetic cast control set at 1.  this may not seem much, but I'm sure this will make a world of difference.

The reel was purchased from Okuma for $69.  Drags I estimate was an additional $8, add about $20 for the bearings bringing a total of $96 and you will have a very nice, corrosion resistant reel for both fresh and salt water use, and probably better than most $130+ bait casters out there..

I think the use of this reel will be casting hair raisers, top water plugs, jigs, for stripped bass or in the pacific for papio (Smaller GT), and the like.  I hope to have feedback once the reel is fished.

Thank you for looking.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Left sideplate bushing-3x10x4 mm
Right sideplate bushing-3x8x4 mm

Main Gear Drag Washer-20x30x1.6 mm
Under Main Gear Drag Washer-8.2x17x0.94 mm

Belleville - 0.325x0.620x0.045 in.

The belleville was added to raise the ARB sleeve since the drag washers were thinner than stock drag washers. I also selected the bellevilled washer instead of a thicker shim to help even the drag load. I'm not sure if I matters though because the top drag washer is fairly thick.  I believe the shim would be just as effective.

wallacewt

goodonyah bryan,good stuff.we got good gooder goodest,thats a gooder.

UK Ron

Nice Job Bryan. Thank you :)

Bryan Young

Thanks, it's a cute little reel.  As a new model for Okuma, it's not always I get a chance to beat someone to a pre-use service tutorial  ;D.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 14, 2012, 09:00:00 AM
Thanks, it's a cute little reel.  As a new model for Okuma, it's not always I get a chance to beat someone to a pre-use service tutorial  ;D.
I understand, you need to show who's the"Big Dog" around here ;D....and you are ;)
Very nice job Bryan.
BTW, check out the size of that red spool, maybe we could do some fine-tuning to install it in a 501 ;D.
Thanks for sharing, later buddy. 
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 14, 2012, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on December 14, 2012, 09:00:00 AM
I understand, you need to show who's the"Big Dog" around here ;D....and you are ;)
Very nice job Bryan.
BTW, check out the size of that red spool, maybe we could do some fine-tuning to install it in a 501 ;D.
Thanks for sharing, later buddy. 
Sal
Sal, busting my chops again   ;D

The spool is really small.  I was surprised how small the reel actually is.  You'd have to do a lot to install it in a 501.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on December 14, 2012, 05:51:34 AM
goodonyah bryan,good stuff.we got good gooder goodest,thats a gooder.
Well done Wallace.  Leave to the Aussies to conjugate the word "good."  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

So I liked these reels, I though I'd give it a try.  I purchased 2 reels to cast 1-3 oz jigs into the surf.  I finally got to try it out and it's a great little reel.  Easy to cast and retrieve.  I was casting about 80 yards with a 9'6" salmon/steelhead rod with the magnets dial set for 4, 10# braid, and tossing a 1 oz lure.  On my third 80 yard cast, the line snapped right at the line guide...and this reel is not up to the task of distant casting. :(  I need to look for a new reel that is up to the task and still being light enough to cast a 1-3 oz lure with 10# braid.

Porthos

Is going to 15# or 20# braid not an option? An unacceptable reduction in distance?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Porthos on May 03, 2014, 11:54:58 AM
Is going to 15# or 20# braid not an option? An unacceptable reduction in distance?
That would be an unacceptable reduction of distance.   My goal is 100+yards with 1 oz lure.