If you use Purple Power to clean reels please read this.

Started by Steve V., April 05, 2024, 07:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve V.

Hello,

If you use it, have you ever had it damage the paint on a reel? I have one of the small Harbor Freight Ultrasonics and would like to find a degreaser for reel bodies. I would get as much grease out manually as I could before putting it in the Ultrasonic. This would be used in the Ultrasonic in a jar or beaker with water in the tank. Also, has anyone had it damage any other surface/part?

Thanks,

Steve

foakes

Quote from: Steve V. on April 05, 2024, 07:31:41 PMHello,

If you use it, have you ever had it damage the paint on a reel? I have one of the small Harbor Freight Ultrasonics and would like to find a degreaser for reel bodies. I would get as much grease out manually as I could before putting it in the Ultrasonic. This would be used in the Ultrasonic in a jar or beaker with water in the tank. Also, has anyone had it damage any other surface/part?

Thanks,

Steve

I used to use purple degreaser very sparingly and quickly in my US cleaners for reel parts.

Then around 20 years ago, I discovered that lacquer thinner was 5 times as effective on bare metal parts (chromed, SS, steel, brass, bronze, aluminum, pot metal, alloys, and copper).

For badly greased up painted parts, plastic parts etc. —- I only use Dawn HD dish soap.

Simple Green will work if not used too long on painted parts —- but if too long, the paint will peel off.  Plus, SG will also ruin plastic parts.

I NEVER use the heat setting on an ultrasonic cleaner for reel parts.

Purple degreaser is now only for machine and automotive stuff —- but never for reels.

Purple will also put a black finish on Mitchell aluminum parts —- which will take another hour to remove.

Experimentation is always a teacher.  And those of us who use US cleaners will try different solutions.

But, if you want advice based on others experiences —- the only cleaning solutions I will clean reels in the US cleaner with are Lacquer Thinner, Dawn HD dish soap, and very occasionally Simple Green very sparingly and cut with about 2/3rd's water.

Nothing else is needed.

I have used a U.S. Cleaner on thousands of every type of reel —- for about 25 years now.

If you don't have, or do not want to use a US cleaner — an effective cleaning system is just to put unpainted metal parts into a jar of lacquer thinner — then any painted or plastic parts into a jar of Dawn & warm water.  Let them soak for about 24 hours — then using an old toothbrush afterwards — clean and rinse.  This is also very effective.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steve V.

Quote from: foakes on April 05, 2024, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: Steve V. on April 05, 2024, 07:31:41 PMHello,

Thanks,

Steve

I used to use purple degreaser very sparingly and quickly in my US cleaners for reel parts.

Then around 20 years ago, I discovered that lacquer thinner was 5 times as effective on bare metal parts (chromed, SS, steel, brass, bronze, aluminum, pot metal, alloys, and copper).

For badly greased up painted parts, plastic parts etc. —- I only use Dawn HD dish soap.

Simple Green will work if not used too long on painted parts —- but if too long, the paint will peel off.  Plus, SG will also ruin plastic parts.

I NEVER use the heat setting on an ultrasonic cleaner for reel parts.

Purple degreaser is now only for machine and automotive stuff —- but never for reels.

Purple will also put a black finish on Mitchell aluminum parts —- which will take another hour to remove.

Experimentation is always a teacher.  And those of us who use US cleaners will try different solutions.

But, if you want advice based on others experiences —- the only cleaning solutions I will clean reels in the US cleaner with are Lacquer Thinner, Dawn HD dish soap, and very occasionally Simple Green very sparingly and cut with about 2/3rd's water.

Nothing else is needed.

I have used a U.S. Cleaner on thousands of every type of reel —- for about 25 years now.

If you don't have, or do not want to use a US cleaner — an effective cleaning system is just to put u painted metal parts into a jar of lacquer thinner — then any painted or plastic parts into a jar of Dawn & warm water.  Let them soak for about 24 hours — then using an old toothbrush afterwards — clean and rinse.  This is also very effective.

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred. I think I will just use Dawn HD and then old fashioned elbow grease for anything the US leaves. I do like the pre-soak idea. I am currently using Naphtha for the metal unpainted parts and it seems to do fine. I would like to stop using that as I don't have a way to really dispose of it other than put it in a can and wait for my city to have a hazardous waste disposal day. I do wipe down all parts as much as I can first to get as much grease out as I can.

Steve

Midway Tommy

I've done similar to what Fred does for years, lacquer thinner on all unpainted metal parts and Original White Goop hand degreaser on painted & plastic parts with a Dawn & warm water wash on them after. Never needed to use an US cleaner or Simple Green because the other stuff works great without any side effects. It's amazing how clean parts & bodies get with Goop & a little flux brushing.  ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

I've mainly have used Dawn Ultra and water for cleaning most reel parts. Plastic, no heat. Metal, a little heat to help soften old grease.

Stick on varnished or tar grease, I have soaked them in WD-40 the place the jar/beaker in the ultra sonic cleaner. Used an old acid or tooth brush brush off the remnants of grease, varnish or tar then clean with a Dawn Ultra bath with/without heated ultrasonic cleaner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DougK

I've used Finish Line Citrus degreaser for bikes on everything, plastic and painted parts.  Mix with water depending on how bad the encrusted grease is, wipe off the worst of the muck, then toss the parts into a plastic jar with the degreaser. Agitate by hand for 5min or so, scrub with old toothbrush using the solution. Never failed me yet..
I probably should be rinsing off the parts, so far (thirty years) just drying/wiping, let dry fully, and then oiling or greasing as indicated is fine.

However.. after reading Steve's comment on disposing of naptha, went to look at the product safety sheet for the Finish Line,

https://www.finishlineusa.com/files/2023%20Sales%20Sheets/Citrus%20Degreaser_US%20SDS_English.pdf

where it says 'prevent substance entering sewers'.
That means it also should be hazardous-waste disposal.. which I haven't been doing.. hm oh dear.

Tommy's Goop idea is interesting too, Goop certainly works on my greasy stained hands after working on the car..
But, its product safety sheet says,
'Skin and body protection Wear protective gloves and protective clothing.'
So the hand cleaner product, recommends wearing gloves while using the product.. ha. 

Looks like it's going to be Dawn and warm water for me as well from here on in.